OpenGL 2.0 needed running 2.1 version and Kivy sees 1.1?

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

tall boy

OpenGL 2.0 needed running 2.1 version and Kivy sees 1.1?

Post by tall boy »

As the title explains I’m running openGL2.1 and race capture software 1.8.0 think I’m running openGL 1.1 on my widows 7 laptop.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If the app cannot detect the OpenGL version it needs, it will show this error. Best bet is to update the video drivers, if possible, or, use a computer with the graphics support required.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

tall boy

Post by tall boy »

Ok that’s fine and all but we are not going to carry various type of laptop as for software unable to detect drivers on professional used laptops. We are not into game play and we install data accusation equipment on a daily base having no problems except for one so we kindly ask to investigate your software and maybe step thing down a bit on graphics if needed. Thanks in davance.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We understand your concern. Unfortunately, the needed OpenGL support is a requirement for the software we use based on the core technology we use. If it is complaining, then we do not have many options.

Android, iOS and Windows 10 computers should avoid these compatibility issues with older drivers.

Thank you, again!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

tall boy

Post by tall boy »

Forgot to mention we can run up to v1.4.2 software. Again the newer version software detects a opengl1.1 while running a 2.1 so looks like it’s a bug in the software that dos this running windows 7.

tall boy

Post by tall boy »

Other question can we still use v1.4.2 software to configure the RaceCapture/Pro MK3, just sold the last MK2 and need to order new ones soon.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

After version 1.4.2 we switched to a new version of the app framework, which is likely why it has a more stringent requirement.

1.4.2 won't work with the new MK3 systems as protocols have changed and new features have been added.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

fishchoke

Post by fishchoke »

I have the same issue. I'm running a Lenovo T410 with W7 and Intel integrated video. I updated to the latest driver, and still get the same message. Would have been nice to use a laptop with this thing.

slowie

Post by slowie »

I had the same problem, and solved it on my end.

The issue is a known fault in Kivy, and has still not been solved: https://github.com/kivy/kivy/issues/3576 There is however a workaround:

The solution is to add two lines to the code. I downloaded the code from github, installed python and kivy, made the following changes to main.py, and now it works:

Code: Select all

if __name__ == '__main__':
    import logging
    import argparse
    from kivy import Config
    Config.set('graphics', 'multisamples', '0')
    import kivy
Not being very familiar with github, I would rather not wade in and make the changes there, hopefully a dev will do it for us.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

This is great, thank you, we'll be sure to add it to the next release ASAP.

Tracking here:
https://github.com/autosportlabs/RaceCa ... ssues/1465
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

dvsu12

Post by dvsu12 »

Brent - having the same issue on the latest version of the Windows app running Win 8.1. Running the most up to date graphics drivers.

Best to use Slowie's fix still?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - that fix will be in the 1.12.0, beta due out next week if everything aligns correctly! Real soon now.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

dvsu12

Post by dvsu12 »

Thanks Brent.

I found an easier way around it - in the .kivy folder located within the "Users" folder in Win 8.1, I modified the config.ini file, under [graphics], to change the multisamples value from 2 to 0.

App launches without errors currently.

slowie

Post by slowie »

I also tried that initially. Quite bizarrely it does not work for me, but making the change in the actual code does. And it seems that both methods should yield identical results.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for confirming that! 1.12.0 app available in beta early this week, working on the builds right now.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter