Unable to Connect Cellular - one other thing for you to try

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

davef_dci

Unable to Connect Cellular - one other thing for you to try

Post by davef_dci »

Howdy, Brent helped me debug an issue getting my MK3 connected via cellular and I wanted to post it on here for reference in case anyone experiences the same issue.

After installing my SIM card, setting up RaceCapture and powering up my unit via USB I would not connect and kept seeing the following message:

[cell] manufacturer is u-blox
[cell] Loading driver for UBlox Sara U280
[USB] Starting telem stream on USB
[gsm] Failed to read phone number
[sara_u280] Failed to read IMEI
[cell] Command failed. Response:
[cell] Command failed. Response: 3

After playing around a while I randomly unplugged the unit from my USB port and plugged it into a 12V source and the cell connected immediately.

The cell phone is designed to be powered via a USB port however there is mostly likely a problem with the USB port on my computer not supplying sufficient current.

I just thought I'd document this on the forum in case anyone else experiences the same issue. It was a problem on my end - not with the unit.

-dave

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks, Dave.

Yes, the system is designed to work on USB, but full USB current needs to be available on the port. If you have a hub in-between, there might not be enough current passed through to the RaceCapture system.

The other thing to check is to ensure you have the "background streaming" setting set to "on" if you're bench testing. Otherwise the cellular module will not attempt to connect until you're logging on SD card.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter