Telemetry options for no GSM coverage

Setup and configuration for Race Capture Pro real-time telemetry features

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

notso2slo

Telemetry options for no GSM coverage

Post by notso2slo »

Hey all

We are doing a race at the end of the month, and trying to figure out the best way to get everything connected.

The track we are going to has some spotty coverage (The Ridge Motorsports Park) and even a roof mounted antenna has proven unreliable there.

We have a RCP2, bluetooth module, Verizon 4G hotspot, an Amazon Fire tablet, and an iPhone to work with.

I would love (but don't require) a display for predictive lap timing.

I have a laptop to use to make any configuration settings needed.

I use a GoPro Hero2 with Wifi backpack, I would love to be able to control it.

So I see a few possible configurations

1. RCP to iPhone via Bluetooth, use the iPhone to display and transmit telemetry, no automatic Gopro.

2. RCP to Fire Tablet via Bluetooth, use the hotspot for connectivity to the tablet

3. RCP to Fire Tablet via Wifi (I'd buy a module) (Question, can I connect the Gopro, tablet, RCP and hotspot together at the same time??)

4. RCP to iPhone via Wifi and control the Gopro too (again, is this possible?)

What would be the recommended configuration? Any other thoughts and input?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

If the track in question is The Ridge Motorsports park, then you're in luck. AT&T works well there. Not strong coverage, but it is solid and reliable for the entire track, and it works very well with our 3.5G module. We know, it's one of our home tracks!

Worth noting, AT&T no longer supports 2G if you're using the older 2G cellular module in RaceCapture/Pro MK2.

The alternate is to broadcast telemetry via the RaceCapture app via Bluetooth or WiFi, and then via a hotspot
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... _telemetry

* iOS does not support our bluetooth; WiFi is the only connectivity option available.

If you're broadcasting to the RaceCapture app via Wifi, then you'll likely need to put your android device in hotspot mode so RaceCapture can connect to it.

Aside from the 3.5G telemetry module, the best alternate option is the Fire tablet + hotspot, as you suggested.

In any case, ensure the 12v in-car charger you have delivers the full 2A to the fire tablet and the hotspot.

Keep us posted on what you find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter