Bad GPS Maps

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Mugenlude

Bad GPS Maps

Post by Mugenlude »

Fresh installation of SoloStorm connected to RC/P (mk2) via BT, 2002 Corvette in an autocross setting... RC/P is mounted in glovebox, GPS antenna running out the passenger window up the A-piler and attached to the roof with double-sided tape.

When viewing the GPS connection on the SoloStorm I'm seeing 8 or 9 satellites, however, I'm getting maps which don't match, even minutes apart. The accelerometer and g's are consistent from run to run.

I've attached an image of two runs that happened about 5 minutes apart. Others at the event location did not have issues with GPS maps (so satellites are available).

Any ideas on what I need to do to improve this? Thanks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

it looks like you have poor GPS quality. This can be caused by terrain/ obstructions, setting GPS sample rate too high for the conditions, and powering RCP up just before racing - GPS systems needs about 30 minutes to get full data on all of the satellite conditions.

We have a guide here for some optimization tips:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapture_GPS

On top of satellites, you can look at GPS DOP and GPS quality indicators. You can do a quick logging session in your car using the RaceCapture app, ensuring both of these channels are turned on.

DOP = dilution of precision - a smaller number, under 2 is best. GPS quality indicator of 3 indicates best performance (3D fix).

Hope this helps, let us know what you find out!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

Thanks for the reply, Brent. I'll try those things and report back.