Automatic logging, Track ID & setup

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

anastos

Automatic logging, Track ID & setup

Post by anastos »

First day at the track yesterday with RCP3, raised some questions.
1. I never got any data logs.
I had the following script in my setup but it did not initiate logging.

function onTick()
processCAN(CAN_chan)
--Start logging above 10mph
if getGpsSpeed() > 10 then
startLogging()
else
stopLogging()
end
end

I didn't want more than one onTick() in the script so I placed the "if statement" below the processCAN instruction.
Should I place it somewhere else? Give it a unique function name & call the function under the onTick?
Lua is new to me not sure how to use it yet.

2. We were at Road America and the automatic track setup did not work. I never got lap times etc while viewing in Podium. Are there setup requirements for that to work? After choosing Road America as the track in Podium it did display vehicle position on the track map but no lap times, no predictive laps, no sector times etc. The data that was displayed had serious lag time 8-12 seconds is that normal?

3. I used the CAN channel mapping feature to add an oil pressure input from a Megasquirt controller but the reading never changed in Podium

Any help resolving these issues would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks,
Dave W.
Thanks,
Anastos

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

In the script you posted, I suspect the issue is the function processCAN.

You have:
processCAN(CAN_chan)

You need to set the CAN_chan to the channel that your can bus is wired into. IE if you are using Can 0 on the RCP3, then you need to change the function call to pass that channel to the actual function.

It should read:
processCAN(0)

This will pass the value 0, into to function "processCAN", and substitute the value 0 in all places there "CAN_chan" is used in the function.

To manually verify you are logging, use the RaceCapture app, connect to the RCP3, click on the menu button, and check System Status -> Logging. It should say Logging if the system is actually saving data.

Also, I noticed that some logs cannot be seen on the app. You'll need to pull the SD card out, plug it into a computer, and look for logs. The only logs that I've seen show up in the app, are those collected when you have logging set to happen while on the dashboard.

anastos

Post by anastos »

Thanks for the reply boggie1688

My CAN messages are working, the channel is identified near the top of the script.
I tried reading the sd card directly as suggested but it was empty :cry:

Any Ideas on the track id issue?

Thanks,
Dave W.
Thanks,
Anastos

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

I'm assuming your GPS signal is strong?

Did you check the System status page and see how the GPS signal was? Try using 10Hz.

anastos

Post by anastos »

GPS working well, set to 10Hz, reported well in Podium, GPS status online on status page shortly after power up.
Thanks,
Anastos

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

Formatted the card correctly? Fat32?

anastos

Post by anastos »

The card is brand new
Thanks,
Anastos

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

In the poll log, I think it will kick a error message about attempting to write to the card if there is an issue.