RCP3 Only logs data in Dashboard mode

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

boggie1688

RCP3 Only logs data in Dashboard mode

Post by boggie1688 »

I've updated my Lua script to include:
startLogging()

I've verified that the system is "logging" under the System Status menu. However, no logs are produced. If I connect my laptop, access the app, and go to the dashboard, logging starts. This is the only way for me to get a log. The RCP3 can write to the microSD card just fine.

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

I stand corrected. It does log, but the files can't be found under saved sessions. The sd card needs to be removed and the files need to be imported.

Only logs that are recorded while the dashboard is opened can be found under saved session.

Bizarre.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Correct.

The startLogging() in the Lua script runs in the context of RCP and controls the SD card logging behavior. It's worth noting that RCP is designed to run autonomously, not requiring a display for operation - once you set it up, it runs on it's own as a data acquisition system / telemetry device.

The in-app logging was added later for additional convenience.

Hope that helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

Thanks Brent.

Still figuring out the subtle nuances of the system. Now that I know, I know. :D

TXBDan

Post by TXBDan »

I was trying to figure this out today as well.

Say i just cruise around the streets, dashboard mode, logging on. I then go to Analysis mode and i can see sessions saved, but i can't view plots of any of the data. I think this is because there are no laps since i wasn't on track?
I would like to simply scroll through the selected data channels for the duration of the session log, is this possible?

I'm also confused about logging to the dashboard tablet vs logging to the RCP SDcard. Do they both start with startLogging() and stop with stopLogging()? When i'm in analysis mode, am i looking only at the data saved on the tablet? Is the data on the SDcard only for review on a computer later, not on the tablet? In the preferences, there is an option to turn off logging on the tablet. If i do this, can i still review data from the SDcard on the tablet?

Thanks!

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

You can turn off logging on dashboard mode. Hit the little gear and one of the options is to turn off recording in dashboard mode.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

I'll try to expand on what I explained earlier in the thread.

In the long long ago, RCP only logged via SD card. More recently, with the introduction of RaceCapture/Track, we added in-app logging as a convenience for having immediate data available for analysis. It's a natural enhancement of the system and now augments the existing SD logging capabilities, which is primarily geared towards logging data as an autonomous, headless 'black box' data logger / telemetry system.

The Lua script commands run in the context of RCP and only controls SD card logging; it does not affect the logging behavior of any client consuming the telemetry stream. The API doc has been clarified here:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... ng_control

Regardless if the data is logged via SD card, or on-the-fly in the app, it's simply the same data.

Both approaches will record laps if lap timing is active, or just a single session of data without laps, where a span of data can be viewed.

An example of recording some static data on the bench and immediately viewing it. You can try it right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA1jWfrmEog

With SD logging, you have to pull the SD card, then manually import the data into analysis.

As before, in both approaches, you reach the same destination with effectively the same data.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter