Install of Classic OBD2 on a 2001 Miata

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

erichpfa

Install of Classic OBD2 on a 2001 Miata

Post by erichpfa »

I can not get the OBD2 classic adaptor to work with my 2001 Miata. When I the install following the procedure and try to map the channels I get no data on the Dash board. The RCP3 lights up and I get WIFI,BT and CAN lights. (Can light is flashing in a random pattern).

I am sure I am missing something simple I just cannot figure it out. Any one want to help a Newbie
Erich Pfalzgraf
Regional Executive, Des Moines Valley region SCCA
2001 Super Touring light Prepped Miata

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for posting. Let's figure this out:

First, can you confirm the version of firmware you have? It will be reported in the upper right of the app.

Also, can you save your current configuration to a file and attach it here, so we can check it out?

To do that, ensure the app connects to your RaceCapture device, then go to Setup. Read the current config (Press the Read button) then press Save to save the configuration to a file.

Attach this file here so we can review it.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

erichpfa

Post by erichpfa »

Firmware is 2.11.0 and file attached
Attachments
erichpfa.txt
(14.25 KiB) Downloaded 308 times
Erich Pfalzgraf

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Erich,

Thanks for that. Your config seems to be ok.

I see you have one OBDII channel enabed - EngineTemp.

When you have it plugged in and you have your laptop or mobile device connected, and the engine is running - do you get any readings on the EngineTemp channel in your RaceCapture app dashboard?

Note, you will need to swipe to the dash screen that shows all of the channels listed together in green digits (the raw channels view).

Also, can you try it on a different car, to see if you can get an EngineTemp reading?
Attachments
raw_channels_view.png
raw_channels_view.png (57.16 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

erichpfa

Post by erichpfa »

Well we have success. I have engine temp but in degrees C and not F and RPM.

How do I know if the channel is supported by my car.

Erich
Erich Pfalzgraf

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Great to hear. So you have Engine Temp and RPM?

You can do a C to F conversion by editing the OBDII channel and going to the right-most tab "Conversion". Choose the "C -> F" conversion. Make sure you write the changed configuration back to RCP to have the change take place.

Regarding what's supported - it varies by car. Almost all cars support a subset of SAE standard channels:

RPM, EngineTemp, TPS, MAP (manifold pressure) Fuel, and WheelSpeed.

Right now the best way is to try a channel and see if you get data on the selected channel.

Some things are rarely supported on OBDII - but that's where your direct sensor inputs on RCP comes into play; you can connect things like direct temperature, pressure and other sensors as needed.

Hope this helps!

erichpfa

Post by erichpfa »

Not sure what I did. Is there a procedure to add a channel? Do I need to wait for a period of time for it to show up. I feel like I just didn't do a step it get it connected. I may be wrong though.

Erich
Erich Pfalzgraf

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

To add an OBDII channel you simply press the (+) button on the OBDII channel screen, then select the channel you want to enable on the drop-down.
Attachments
add_obdii_channel.png
add_obdii_channel.png (66.03 KiB) Viewed 5396 times