OBD2 Issues

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

BrianK

Post by BrianK »

Thanks for the quick response Brent, and for returning my call.

To answer your questions:

The OBD data side of things has worked/not worked intermittently for some time but you are correct that is was working the last time I tried it and it once again is not working. No settings have been changed between multiple instances of it working/not working or between the last uses in particular.

The firmware and app versions have been current since I modified the CAN bus termination. I did re-verify the versions tonight to make sure. The OBD issue has occurred while using both the older and newer firmware/software versions. The recent history is:
-CAN termination modification, update of firmware/app version: CAN worked
-A few days later attempted use for an autocross: CAN did not work
-Checked operation on neighbors car and my own: CAN worked
-Checked operation a few days later on my car(yesterday): CAN did not work
-Checked operation with your instructions from today: CAN did not work

I believe I followed your directions exactly this evening: CAN (1 and 2) on and at 500k, OBD enabled, added just RPM to OBD, disabled CAN mapped channels (I didn't delete them though as you didn't specify anything regarding this menu), wrote the changes back to the unit, power cycled the RCP2 and car, restarted app.

I did not see any messages in the log like "squelching OBDII channels". Here is what I saw upon opening the log:

*** Start! ***
[watchdog] Initializing...
sizeof LoggerConfig: 13052
[CAN device] Initializing CAN0 with baud rate 500000
[CAN device] CAN init success!
[CAN device] Initializing CAN1 with baud rate 500000
[CAN device] CAN init success!
IMU: init res=0
GPS: Initializing...
BT: Detecting baud rate...
BT: Baudrate: 115200
timebase/logging/telemetry sample rate: 50/25/25
[lua] Initializing Lua state
[lua] memory usage: 16KB
[lua] Starting Lua Task
[main] Setup Task complete!
[lua] Loading script. Length: 0
[lua] Successfully loaded script.
GPS: provisioning attempt
GPS: probing baud rate: 921600
BT: Device responds at baud 115200
BT: Init complete
GPS: probing baud rate: 115200
GPS: probing baud rate: 9600
GPS: Using baud rate: 9600
GPS: module detected at: 9600
GPS: Configuring baud rate to: 115200
GPS: Message was successfully received.
GPS: Configuring was successful.
GPS: detected current update rate: 1
GPS: Configuring update rate to 10: win
GPS: Configuring NMEA messages
GPS: Successfully configured NMEA
GPS: configure message type: win
GPS: configure navigation data message interval: win
GPS: Configuring Gnss Navigation Mode: win
GPS: Disabling NMEA messages
GPS: Successfully disabled NMEA messages
GPS: provisioned
[USB] Starting telem stream on USB
[USB] Stopping telem stream on USB
[USB] Starting telem stream on USB

And when I selected the "debug" tab it kept repeating this:

[CAN device] timeout rx CAN msg
Timeout sending PID request 12

Please let me know what you think. I'll be at a private test&tune tomorrow so I may be able to try using the RCP2 on a different car. If there is anything else you want me to try please let me know.[/i]

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Let us know what you see on a different car. If it's consistently not working, we can inspect it for damage- it's possible the previous issue you had caused some problems; we can help you sort it out.

Will watch for updates.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

BrianK

Post by BrianK »

OK, I have tried the unit multiple times again. The OBD data worked on my car throughout at day at a test and tune through multiple power cycles. The next time I tried was at Spring Nationals and it did not work on my car once over a four day period. On the last day I tried it on my car to verify OBD data still did not work. I immediately connected it to a friends Toyota Tundra and it instantly showed OBD RPM data. I immediately tried it on my car again and it did not work.

Is there anything I can do about this? I'm pretty much ready to call this a very expensive paper weight and move on with my life.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the update. Given the damage your unit's experienced from the electrical issue before, there could be something there that's preventing reliable operation - possibly a component was damaged, or a connector.

If the connector was damaged due to the 12v over current, it might've resulted in an intermittent connection issue - moving the connector about while trying to power it or communicate over OBDII might cause it to work or not work depending on the motion of the connector. That's one of the first things I would be checking.

Also, it might be worth double-checking checking that the termination mod - the Scion / BRZ platform is particularly sensitive to that, so what I would do is check the resistance across the CAN connections on RCP, with it disconnected from OBDII. It should read a high resistance.

I'm assuming you're on the latest 2.11.0 firmware using the latest app; one issue we've seen is if an older app (prior to 1.9.0) is used to configure OBDII channels on 2.11.0 firmware; it doesn't work. If you suspect this might be an issue, you can install the latest app, then remove and re-add OBDII channels. RPM, EngineTemp and TPS are the ones we recommend to start with - or just RPM.

Finally, we would be happy to inspect and repair any damage to the unit for a nominal fee. If you'd like to go this route just ping us at [email protected] and we'll be happy to help.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter