Legacy OBDII

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Mugenlude

Legacy OBDII

Post by Mugenlude »

Newly installed legacy OBDII adaptor installed per the installation instructions (removed the old power wire)... I'm not getting any of the data I'm trying to pull (RPM and TPS).

2002 C5 Z06, RCP mk2 connected via Bluetooth module. Any ideas?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, What firmware version are you on? If you are not on 2.11.0 then you will need to upgrade to the latest firmware.

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... e_Firmware

After upgrading firmware, delete and re-add some basic OBDII channels - such as RPM, EngineTemp and TPS. Write back the setup and power cycle.

Let us know what you find out. thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

brentp wrote:Hi, What firmware version are you on? If you are not on 2.11.0 then you will need to upgrade to the latest firmware.

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... e_Firmware

After upgrading firmware, delete and re-add some basic OBDII channels - such as RPM, EngineTemp and TPS. Write back the setup and power cycle.

Let us know what you find out. thanks!
I'm not sure on the version of firmware.

I'm running Version 1.9.1 of the app on an Android tablet (LG GPad VK815), but I'm not seeing Firmware on the left menu (I also see Setup on the Home menu in lieu of Configuration like in your video). I have tried uninstalling the app, and reinstalling it thinking that maybe I just didn't have a current version. No change.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Once the app connects to your RaceCapture unit - via wireless or USB - the firmware will be reported on the right side of the top bar. It should say something like

RaceCapture X.Y.Z

where X.Y.Z is the version number.

Hope this helps!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

Ok, I'm only on 2.9.0.

Does the firmware update need to happen while connected to a computer? I'm trying to do so via the app on my tablet connected via Bluetooth. Thanks.

Bryan@UnderbiteRacing

Post by Bryan@UnderbiteRacing »

Yes, firmware updates can only be done while connected to a computer. You'll see an additional firmware button on the bottom of the left hand menu in the Setup screen.

Cheers,
Bryan

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

That explains my issues, thanks for the replies.

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

OK, firmware update completed... still not getting any data. Below are settings my settings....

Edit to add: I removed all of the OBDII channels, then added them back in, power cycled the RCP, and restarted the smartphone as well.

And here is the dashboard, as you can see, no RPM or TPS.

TIA
Last edited by Mugenlude on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

There's a thing you need to do after upgrading to the 2.11.0 firmware, if you had OBDII channels defined previously.

Try this:

* Connect the app to racecapture
* Go to setup / OBDII
* Remove all OBDII channels
* Write the config to RaceCapture
* Read back the config, confirm no OBDII channels are defined
* Add just one channel. try RPM to start.
* Write this back to RCP.

* Power cycle RCP, and re-connect.

Do you see RPM now?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

That did it! Awesome.

- Got RPM reading correctly.
- I added TPS, but the number is something like 2,1XX,XXX,XXX. I assume I'm going to have to figure out a conversion for that. Is there a tutorial somewhere I can reference to sort that type of thing out?

Thanks again for the help!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

So, power cycle RCP after adding the OBDII channel. you shouldn't have to power-cycle, but there's a bug in the 2.11.0 firmware that requires it. We'll get that fixed in 2.11.1

Glad you got it working, and thanks for your patience!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Mugenlude

Post by Mugenlude »

Just took the car out to do some testing and the TPS data seems to have resolved itself, I'm getting good readings now.