Struggling to update firmware...

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

davef_dci

Struggling to update firmware...

Post by davef_dci »

Howdy,

I'm struggling to update my software/ firmware and have a couple of questions.

I have a RaceCapture/Pro3 and am running the application on a Windows 10 device for now. I have an android tablet in the race car but I have not yet gotten to that.

A) Is there an easy way to determine the current software release of the Windows 10 application and the firmware currently in the unit? I honestly don't know if I need to update - we last raced in April - but I thought I'd be safe and try to update.

B) I understand there's a Beta release out of the firmware which I was thinking of trying but when I go to the Beta Firmware section of the downloads page, the only thing that I can see there is "Older Releases" Am I missing the Beta release? In general, do people feel this is stable enough to try running?

C) I downloaded RaceCapture/Pro MK3 2.12.0 - is this the correct firmware for my RaceCapture/Pro3? Brent, just a suggestion - like many racers we put our unit away for a few months and then struggled to remember things when we come back to it. The naming of your products has me a bit confused and I can honestly never remember what I happen to own. The physical electronics box says RaceCapture/Pro 3 but this doesn't correspond to any of the names on the firmware - I'm assuming but not positive that this is MK3?

D) I tried following the directions in the How To Flash.TXT file. The first line says
Flashing Instructions (RaceCapture/Pro MK2)

Is this a typo and is this supposed to say MK3?

- In reading the How To Flash.txt file- because this has no carriage returns, the line directly below the header starts with the words : * While holding down the button on RaceCapture/Pro, power it up by plugging in to USB... However I believe this is actually the alternative method... the primary method resides on the same line as the header but you don't see this unless you scroll to the right a great deal.

- I tried what I think the primary method is, and the progress bar never moves.

- I tried the alternative method - the instructions say I should get a rapidly flashing red light - but i actually get a rapidly flashing orange LED - and again the progress bar never moves.

Any advice?

davef_dci

Post by davef_dci »

Fixed it...

I have a fairly stupid computer with a single USB port so I was using a multi-port splitter that plugs into my single USB port with four ports and had race capture plugged into one and my mouse into another.

For some reason, race capture doesn't like this arrangement. I removed the splitter and plugged Race Capture into my sole USB port and the firmware updated nicely.

For my computer safest to not use a USB splitter I guess. Sorry for the random post.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad you got it figured out! looks like we need to update the readme for the firmware flashing instructions, too.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter