A couple of Race Capture Questions

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

davef_dci

A couple of Race Capture Questions

Post by davef_dci »

Race Capture Newby here. T-2 weeks to first race.

a) Is there a way to save and read dashboards? I find it easier to use my PC to enter setup data which seems to transfer over to RC when I "write" but it seems that I have to set up and re-enter all my dashboard parameters including gauge customization.

b) I've fed the resistance from my fuel tank sender into RC and it seems to be working well as an analogue input but I'm assuming I'll need to do some sort of moving average to eliminate wild swings due to sloshing. Is this LUA script? Can anyone provide me with some guidance on how to do this?

Thanks!

Dave

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

What is the current poll rate of the sender?

davef_dci

Post by davef_dci »

I think i have the polling rate set down at 1hz although I can adjust that to anything I want. That was one approach was to simply lower the sampling rate but I don't that that accomplishes what I was looking for???

I had guessed that at any given point on the race track the instantaneous reading is quite a bit away from the actual volume in the tank due to sloshing, cornering forces, etc. and it was only by averaging over a large period of time that you could determine a reasonable approximation of the actual volume. I guess I could always wire a huge capacitor across the circuit (spoken like a true mechanical engineer!) but i was assuming there would be some way to software average.

Dave

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

From the wiki, there doesn't appear to be a function call for averaging over time.

A bit of google and you can probably find a script to copy and just use.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Dave,

sorry for the late reply. Right now there isn't a way to save a dashboard layout / configuration, but it is a good idea as we're now making the dashboard much more configurable, with more configuration options in the future.

1.9.0 brought the ability to customize what screens are visible in addition to bringing new screen variations, too.

Demo here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3vy7cS1zgU

Tracking issue here:
https://github.com/autosportlabs/RaceCa ... ssues/1372
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

boggie1688

Post by boggie1688 »

I'm at the point where I have to learn some of this Lua stuff.

I was digging around and found this page:
https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/RaceCapt ... g_Examples

Look for a section titled: "Averaging a fuel level reading or other sensor"

I think this is what you want!

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The firmware already also has a built-in way of smoothing / averaging analog channels. We're working on adding that to the UI, soon.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

davef_dci

Any progress on being able to save gage customization?

Post by davef_dci »

Hey Brent, Has there been any progress on being able to save custom gages? Or at least enter them via a laptop instead of my android?

Unless I'm missing something I need to manually go in and set all my gage warning and alert thresholds using the sliders - on my Android that's excruciating. I have 7 gages I need to this for and it takes multiple minutes per gage because the sliders are so touchy. And If I swap out a gage for another one just to get a temporary look at a new value I have to do it over an =d over again. Is there a different approach - this one is sort of driving me nuts.

Dave

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, we're lining up / prioritizing a number of features in the next major version of the app. We'll make sure this is considered, because the slider touchiness bothers me too!

Thanks for your patience. :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter