Import Ford PIDs into RaceCapture

Discussion and research on OBDII integration, especially on OEM specific PIDs from Ford, GM, Chevrolet, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi and others.
s|ck

Import Ford PIDs into RaceCapture

Post by s|ck »

How do I import some of the PIDs in the attached file into Race Capture Pro?

My vehicle is a 2002 Ford SVT Lightning, uses J1850 PWM OBDII Protocol.

Thanks.
Attachments
Ford-PIDs.xls
Ford PIDs
(18 KiB) Downloaded 254 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - Note, we have a number of SAE standard PIDs presets when you select the channel name in the dropdown.

To add an OEM specific channel, you would need to know the PID and the conversion formula, and then enter it into the fields for a custom OBDII mapping channel.

So, to start, can you confirm that a standard channel, like RPM works correctly?

I'll take a look at your spreadsheet to see if it has the necessary information and reply here.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Question, where did you get this spreadsheet? Is it for a different app or system?

This calls out for a wiki article for how to specify a channel based on this information.

Example we will work from:
Description: Wastegate Duty Cycle Commanded
ChannelName: WGDC
Mode and PID: 220462
formula: ((A*256)+B)/327.68
min/max: 0/100

We'll write up an example on how to convert this.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

s|ck

Post by s|ck »

I found the Ford PIDs list from the Torque app forums. People are using them to add custom PIDs to Torque Pro app.

Yes, some of the standard PIDs from Race Capture work fine, I'm looking to add custom PIDs to Race Capture so I can data log at the track.

Thanks.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks. Do you have a particular set of PIDs you'd like first?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

s|ck

Post by s|ck »

I have a few PIDs my tuner wants me to data log with, but if you can show me how to add one custom PID from the list into Race Capture Pro that would be great! :)

s|ck

Post by s|ck »

Any updates?

s|ck

Post by s|ck »

:shock:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Sorry for the delay, it's still on our plate. This week before Christmas has been unusually hectic. :)
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

dewittpayne

Post by dewittpayne »

OBD is a lousy way to log engine data for tuning. It's far too slow. You really need CAN. For tuning, I use an SCT X4 to log data from my 2011 Mustang to a laptop PC. The instructions for selecting the data to be logged say to never use OBD. Unfortunately, the CAN ID's are not given in the software. That's probably an important reason why an SCT tuner costs as much as it does. They have to pay a license fee to Ford to get he CAN id's.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

CAN based OBDII is reasonably fast for an inefficient protocol not designed for this type of data logging. On some vehicles we've seen 200+ PIDs / sec.

Virtually all CAN data is broadcast in a way that can be inspected and reverse engineered. It's a pretty common process to decode this data broadcast from ECUs and other devices using a process of cross referencing existing sensors against observed data.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

s|ck

Post by s|ck »

dewittpayne wrote:OBD is a lousy way to log engine data for tuning. It's far too slow. You really need CAN. For tuning, I use an SCT X4 to log data from my 2011 Mustang to a laptop PC. The instructions for selecting the data to be logged say to never use OBD. Unfortunately, the CAN ID's are not given in the software. That's probably an important reason why an SCT tuner costs as much as it does. They have to pay a license fee to Ford to get he CAN id's.
Yes, I have the SCT X4 with Ford Pro Racer Software for tuning and data logging with a laptop. Just wanted to find a more seamless/modern way of data logging & monitoring straight from an Android Head Unit. I'm sure it's possible but need to figure out how to import certain PIDs into RaceCapture.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Still on the list to do this write up, but first need to get the 1.12.0 app and 2.13.0 firmware out. Hang tight!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

petik

Post by petik »

Bump on this, also very interested in seeing this writeup - particularly for early 2000s Fords as the op asked.

s|ck

Post by s|ck »

Almost 2 years and still no updates on this? :shock: