Not able to pull any CAN info

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
Monterey///M3

Not able to pull any CAN info

Post by Monterey///M3 »

Hi all, first of many posts here. I'm having a bit of an issue setting up the Racecapture pro3. I have an E46 M3, so I downloaded the E46 config as a start to get the ball rolling. I can't get anything to pop up either on my tablet or my laptop. I ran debug on the scrip and it comes back

[Can device] timeout rx can msg

Any help would be appreciated. This is my first time working with any type of programming lol.

Thanks!

EDIT: I ran the CAN Logger and it came back with

[Can device] timeout rx can msg
Timeout: no CAN data

The wires are connected properly, not sure what it could be. The Racecapture itself is being powered by the RJ45 cable supplied. Tried with two other cat5 cables and different splices but still nothing.

EDIT #2: We tried running power and CAN directly into the RCP via the Molex connector and still nothing. The RCP gets power but no CAN data. The CAN light never comes on.
Last edited by Monterey///M3 on Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monterey///M3

Post by Monterey///M3 »

Bump

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Ok, let's figure it out.

First thing you want to check is your CAN baud rate, and then check if your CAN bus LED on RCP's front panel is blinking.

Check that your baud rate for the first CAN bus is set to 500K baud, and then with RaceCapture/Pro powered up and with the CAN bus connected, check the top right CAN LED that it's on (orange). This will show that it's receiving CAN data.

Let's verify that and we can go from there. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Monterey///M3

Post by Monterey///M3 »

Hi Brent, the Baud rate is set at 500k. But the CAN LED doesn't come on. The only LED that's on from that side is the one blinking for GPS.

Thanks

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Thanks for the update.

The status of the CAN indicator is significant, because if RCP is receiving CAN data at all - regardless of the mapping or script configuration - then it would light up.

My first guess is that you are not getting CAN data at all from your M3. First thing to check is the wiring - some of the cables in the harness are similarly colored and can be a bit of a decoy.

You can also tap into the steering angle sensor wires - this sensor is on the same CAN bus and the wiring colors are a bit easier to identify.

Let us know what you find out, and if you're still stuck we can further expand the testing.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Monterey///M3

Post by Monterey///M3 »

I'll give that a shot!

Before, we tried pulling from the two twisted wires under the dash as shown in the installation instructions. When that didn't work we tried pulling from the connector under the driver's seat as we saw that those two same wires were heading into there as well.

I was also looking at the AIM install and they spliced into the wires at the ECU. Would that be a most sure fire way?

Thanks!
Rod

Monterey///M3

Post by Monterey///M3 »

Good news! Got it up and running. I ended up splicing into the CAN wires going into the dash as I wasn't able to get any info from the steering angle sensor plug. I did some research online and found that for a BMW the potential difference (voltage) between the two CAN wires should be .25V with the car on and that's what I saw on the plug behind the instrument cluster.

Now to find out why brake pressure isn't working

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Interesting result, thank you for update.

Very few E46's have the brake pressure data available on the bus, we believe it requires a specific ABS system.

let us know what you find out!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter