Honda S2000 CAN Mapping (2006+?)

Discussions on CAN mapping for ECUs, sensors, PDMs, and more.
AM150

Honda S2000 CAN Mapping (2006+?)

Post by AM150 »

So I have a little bit of CAN logging working with my S2000 based on a tiny bit of information I found on HondaTech.

So far I have TPS, Steering Angle, and Coolant Temp logging. I want to get brake pressure working too but I can't figure it out yet.

Below is the info that I found:
I was able to record the CAN data from my S2000 using a CANUSB dongle and a modified version of one of their sample applications (VB.NET). There isn't as much data as there was with my Lexus, but the data that is there is at a high frame rate. It took me a few hours studying the data from several driving cycles to identify the "easy" data streams. I haven't figured out what about half of the data is, since it is either bitwise or encrypted.

Brake pedal pressure (ID = 106 byte 3) streams at about 150 frames per second.
Throttle pedal position (ID=170 byte 1) streams at about 100 frames per second.
Steering Wheel Position (ID=198 bytes 1 & 2) and Lateral Accelleration (ID=198 byte 3) stream at about 100 frames per second.
Engine Coolant Temp (ID = 300 byte 1), Ambient Temp (ID = 300 byte 2), and Engine RPM (ID = 300 bytes 5 & 6) stream at about 100 frames per second.
Wheel Speed (ID = 448 bytes 5 & 6) stream at about 60 frames per second.
For TPS (0-100%) my configuration is as follows:
CAN ID: 170
Mask: 0
CAN Bus: 1
Offset: 0
Length: 1
Bit Mode: no
Source Type: Unsigned
Endian: Little
Formula: Raw x 100 / 255 + 0

For steering angle (in degrees, negative numbers for 'left', positive for 'right')
CAN ID: 198
Mask: 0
CAN Bus: 1
Offset: 0
Length: 2
Bit Mode: No
Source Type: Signed
Endian: Big
Formula: Raw x 1 / 10 + 0

I think the fact that brake pressure apparently uses byte 3, so I tried an offset of 2 but that didn't yield any results in the dashboard. Any thoughts?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, A quick way is to log all of the raw data and watch for that particular CAN message. Use the CAN logging script we have to dump the CAN data to the log file:

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/CAN_Bus_logger

If you vary the sensors (TPS, etc) and see the data moving in the raw data, then you can spot exactly where that data is and it should help your mapping. Feel free to post some of that raw data here, too.

Let us know how it goes!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

AM150

Post by AM150 »

brentp wrote:Hi, A quick way is to log all of the raw data and watch for that particular CAN message. Use the CAN logging script we have to dump the CAN data to the log file:

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/CAN_Bus_logger

If you vary the sensors (TPS, etc) and see the data moving in the raw data, then you can spot exactly where that data is and it should help your mapping. Feel free to post some of that raw data here, too.

Let us know how it goes!
Thanks, I actually found that on my own and was able to modify it to only log the ID that I care about (106). From there I was able to see that bytes 6 and 7 were changing based on brake input. After a little fiddling I have it responding to what look like sane numbers. My guess is that Honda changed the bytes being used between 2006 (my car) to 2008 (the guy that originally found this info).

imstimpy

Post by imstimpy »

I can confirm Engine RPM is definitely correct.

Wheel Speed is kind of correct- 448 (0x1C0) actually represents combinations of various four wheels at various bytes. Bytes 1,2 roll over at 40kph, 3,4 at 80kph, 5,6 at 120 kph and 7,8 at 160kph. The way to calculate a high resolution VSS is to use 7,8 as a reference for the number of times 1,2 has rolled over.

The others are great finds and I'll attempt to incorporate them next time I have the chance.

Far more data is available on the CANBUS by utilizing Honda's OEM protocol. The volume of data processing necessary to read everything, though, isn't really suited to RCP.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Great info - when you get a good collection of sensors figured out, please let us know and we can include it in the list of presets!

https://www.autosportlabs.com/racecaptu ... available/
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

AM150

Post by AM150 »

brentp wrote:Great info - when you get a good collection of sensors figured out, please let us know and we can include it in the list of presets!

https://www.autosportlabs.com/racecaptu ... available/
I actually k-swapped the car so I'm back to square one with a 2006 TSX ECU. Hoping to get it all figured out again for that one.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Just following up. How many S2000 channels did you end up figuring out in the end? Do you have a raceCapture config file you can share so we can create it as a preset?

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

imstimpy

Post by imstimpy »

[CONFIRMED] Engine Speed
[CONFIRMED] Vehicle Speed
[UNCONFIRMED] Wheel Speeds
[CONFIRMED] Throttle Pedal Position
[UNCONFIRMED] Brake Pressure
[UNCONFIRMED] Steering Angle
[CONFIRMED] Ambient Temp
[CONFIRMED] Coolant Temp

I have a script but it isn't complete yet. For those UNCONFIRMED, I need to find some time to run the VehicleSpy then update my script with the correct masking and signed/unsigned math. This project is on the backburner while I finish updating the GEMS/CSV conversion script to support RCP, RaceChrono, and Harry's; it is nearly complete.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That's great. Do you have that mapped as an old-style script or with the direct CAN mapping? Either way, we can get that loaded as a preset regardless of the source.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

V.Anaconda

Post by V.Anaconda »

imstimpy wrote:[CONFIRMED] Engine Speed
[CONFIRMED] Ambient Temp
[CONFIRMED] Coolant Temp

I have a script but it isn't complete yet. For those UNCONFIRMED, I need to find some time to run the VehicleSpy then update my script with the correct masking and signed/unsigned math. This project is on the backburner while I finish updating the GEMS/CSV conversion script to support RCP, RaceChrono, and Harry's; it is nearly complete.
Do you know if a 07 S2000 need the CAN-OBD2 adapter? I pre-ordered a RaceCapture/Track MK2 but im not sure if i need the adapter to use it.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

What do you mean by the "CAN-OBD2" adapter exactly?

If you're referring to the legacy adapter, that is an extra $99 - then no, you would not need that. Just the standard system.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

V.Anaconda

Post by V.Anaconda »

brentp wrote:Hi,

What do you mean by the "CAN-OBD2" adapter exactly?

If you're referring to the legacy adapter, that is an extra $99 - then no, you would not need that. Just the standard system.
Yes, i meant the the legacy adapter.

Ok great. that saves me 99 bucks. Thanks!

V.Anaconda

Post by V.Anaconda »

imstimpy wrote:[CONFIRMED] Engine Speed
[CONFIRMED] Ambient Temp
[CONFIRMED] Coolant Temp

Will you be able to post the configuration for those you have confirmed? I just got mine RCT MK2 and I would love to have those working.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We're happy to get it loaded as a preset, too. Just share the config here and we can do that. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

rubensx

Post by rubensx »

Hi someone can upload a 2006+ s2000 can preset?