Missing SD card or logging error notifications support?

General Q&A specific to RaceCapture/Pro. For app related questions post in the RaceCapture App forum. also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/RaceCapture">RaceCapture Information Page</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

tfriest

Missing SD card or logging error notifications support?

Post by tfriest »

Will the new (upcoming) alerts allow for an alert when there is no sd card?

I have a racecapture/pro mk2 in an open wheel formula car that isn't "water tight", even in the cockpit where the rcp is mounted. A friend I race with also has a similar setup.

I raced a week ago and it was raining and I put tape over the ports/openings on the rcp box to help prevent water from getting in it. When I pulled the tape off that was over the sd card, it came out with the tape. I was worried I wouldn't have any data logged, but luckily for me, I did. However, my friend didn't get any data logged probably because his sd card was loose from putting tape over it.

I have a lua script that starts logging when the car is moving and stops logging after the car has been stopped for more than 30 seconds (or something like that).

Is there a way for the script to detect if the log file is being written or how to handle errors if it tries to turn logging on but there is no sd card (or it is full or whatever reason)? Will the script be able to display an alert for problems like that?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That's a regrettable problem, sorry to hear that!

Right now we illuminate the red LED on the front panel to indicate a card writing failure.

There isn't a lua script function to detect card writing failure at the moment. The alerting will be based on sensor channels initially.

Recommend putting RCP in a watertight enclosure if you're going to be in a harsh environment in the future.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

tfriest

Post by tfriest »

I'm a little worried about overheating if I put it in a watertight enclosure.
How hot does the rcp box get (I have it powered with 12 volt, and it runs bluetooth and gps but not wifi).

In general, it'd be nice for the lua script to be able to send alerts/messages to the dash that pop up like the pit crew messages are going to.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Because RCP has no power semiconductors to speak of, (not switching large currents, etc) RCP generates low amounts of heat. Many teams have run it this way with no issues.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter