LS1 tach signal

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

carlos88

LS1 tach signal

Post by carlos88 »

I have a 2004 gto ls1 engine swap into my 240sx. I have the racecapture pro mk3 with the obd2can but the signal keeps cutting on and off so i decided to wire the sensors directly.

I cant seem to get the signal to get picked up by my racecapture pro mk3. The only info i could find is that the ls2 ecm use a low voltage square wave and people had to use a 1k ohm pull up resistor to bring the voltage up to 10v so their cluster can read the signal. But mine is an Ls1 so im not sure if this is the same for me.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/show ... p?t=445975

The tach wire output signal i wired directly into my 240sx tach cluster and the cluster works fine and I am not sure if i can do this to get a signal to be read by the racecapture.
Last edited by carlos88 on Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carlos88

Post by carlos88 »

file attached
Attachments
gto trial all analog.zip
(2.22 KiB) Downloaded 210 times

carlos88

Post by carlos88 »

If anybody can help I also found this info in the GTO FSM.
The PCM creates the engine speed output signal by pulsing the circuit to ground at a predetermined hertz rate. the PCM pulses the circuit at the same rate as the engine speed signal inoput. The PCM monitors the voltage on the engine speed output circuit. THe PCM creates the engine speed output signal by rapidly grounding this circuit via an internal switch called a driver.
Alos, I tried the step up voltage and it did not work.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Checking the waveform is especially helpful.

If you connect an oscilloscope to the timer input of RaceCapture while it's connected to your ECU, do you see a clean square wave going into the pin of Timer input 1 (or whichever channel you're using)?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

carlos88

Post by carlos88 »

i just found out the snapon scanner has the oscilloscope feature. im going to try to connect it to the wire this weekend and see what i get.

carlos88

Post by carlos88 »

Sorry but have been really busy. I finally managed to do it and this is what i have.

Here is how it's set up

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks. Definitely does not look like a clean square wave from the trace.

What kind of readings do you get when hooked up to the first RPM input? Any noisy readings, or just 0?

You mentioned earlier that the ECU signal pulses to ground, perhaps try a 50-100k pullup resistor to the 5v reference on RaceCapture, to ensure the signal is pulled up in-between pulses?

carlos88

Post by carlos88 »

It only reads 0

I'll try with a 50-100k ohm resistor and 5v signal wire and update with what happens

carlos88

Post by carlos88 »

Brent fixed my file, thank you! It works great

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Glad we got it working!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter