RelayX

What would you like to see? Post your suggestions here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

VPD

RelayX

Post by VPD »

Somewhere between the AnalogX and ShiftX2 could be another product for a CAN message triggered relay board. It could also maybe report back relay state. Since CAN wires and 12V are already distributed around vehicles, why not make a board to leverage the existing infrastructure? This could be a good way to minimize installation and make products like Track and Pro expandable.

While it's possible to do by stacking arduino shields, seems an integrated CAN/relay board would be popular yet I've not found it anywhere. Closest example is the RBoard, but it lacks CAN input. I like how the board can be powered by the same voltage source as the relays, or not.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

This is a great idea, and something we are considering.

How many channels and what current capacity would you need per channel?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

VPD

Post by VPD »

My current solution is a RF relay board with a single 10 amp, but I'm only switching low power change over solenoids (typically used for vacuum powered manifold or boost control valves), and it's worked fine for years.

For a generic design I would guess the size or number of relays would depend how many amps the board could handle. Maybe a single 30 or 2-4 10's?

I'll send you a PM or email with some additional interesting info.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks.

What we are looking at is something with 10+ channels that have the equivalent 1A open-drain drivers we use in RaceCapture/Pro. These 1A drivers can then be connected to a relay board or something else that can drive the required high or medium currents.

This initial step is likely better for us rather than going big with many high current drivers.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter