Connecting analog Autometer gauge sensors

All sensor specific discussions! Temperature, pressure, steering angle, brake and throttle, etc. Post adaptations of OEM-style sensors, and also your clever DIY hacks and custom designs here too!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg

coma

Connecting analog Autometer gauge sensors

Post by coma »

I'm trying to tap into several analog Autometer gauges/sensors, including Oil Temp, Oil Pressure and Water Temp. The measured voltage on those sensors are all in the 7-7.5V range. I read that the input voltage for RCP/AnalogX should be between 0-5V. What to I need to do to make this work? Add an resistor as voltage divider? What resistor value and where exactly to put it?

Thanks much in advance.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

Interfacing to gauges is an advanced topic, but possible. You will need to make a voltage divider to scale the voltage down to a 0-5v range, then figure out what voltages represent the corresponding temperature.

If the sensor being used is non-linear, then you'll need to take samples across the temperature / oil pressure range, and then input that into the linear map editor.

It's doable, but much more work than dedicated sensors. Keep us posted on your progress!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter