AnalogX and Megasquirt ??

Q&A for AnalogX Analog to CAN interface. <a href="https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/AnalogX">Installation and Operation Guide</a>
imakehp

AnalogX and Megasquirt ??

Post by imakehp »

I'm trying to get my AnalogX to communicate with my Megasquirt 2 V3.0 ecu.......Anybody else succeeded at this? If so, would you be willing to offer some help with settings etc ?

Thanks, Dave

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

We have a few customers attempting to do this. Apparently, the megasquirt firmware needs to be updated so it can handle extended CAN IDs. Then, you need to create the mapping in TunerStudio to translate the values.

How far have you been able to get? We just created a troubleshooting guide, here:

https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/AnalogX#Troubleshooting
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

imakehp

Post by imakehp »

I've tried every hardware or software setting I can find..made sure I had the latest firmware...Can't get MS ecu to recognize the AnalogX. I disconnected an 8 channel EGT to CAN module to see if that would let the AnalogX "talk" to the Megasquirt...nope.
I bought this AnalogX unit because it said on your Web page it would work with other systems including Megasquirt. And I don't mind SOME sorting out if it's going to give me a couple more badly needed i/o channels.
But I've tried everything I can think of so if a solution is coming it's probably going to have to come from your end. Or some MS expert that can maybe modify the firmware or write an .ini file or something...
Like I mentioned above, I'm out of ideas.

Dave

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the reply. We were told by MS staff and other users that a firmware update was needed to handle the extended IDs that AnalogX broadcasted.

We have another user with a megasquirt + AnalogX that can actually read data, but the data isn't matching the real-world value, so we're working with them on properly scaling the reading in Tuner Studio.

We also have another customer that will be testing it as well.

Finally we have a MSPNP targeted for our Exocet conversion - the ECU is not in the car yet, but we'll pull it out and evaluate it as well.

Thanks for your patience, we will keep this thread updated with what we find out from all sources.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

imakehp

Post by imakehp »

First question (of course lol) is has there been any progress with getting AnalogX to communicate with Megasquirt2 ?

Is there software to view/set AnalogX settings ?

I see there's a firmware upgrade just out.......anything in it address the Megasquirt issue(s) ?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, Yes, we have a customer that is getting readings, but seems to need to scale / calibrate the values. See this thread:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/megasqu ... %22R%22%7D

We have another customer that will be testing it as well within a few weeks. We will be able to test it ourselves in several weeks.

Recent AnalogX firmware change is not related to MS integration.

As far as we know,, the work needed seems to be in setting up tuner studio for the correct address and value scaling, and ensuring the MS is updated with the latest firmware to ensure it works with extended CAN IDs.

We will post here with any new information. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

imakehp

Post by imakehp »

Any progress with getting the AnalogX and Megasquirt 2 talking to each other?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - that facebook thread has the latest information. Apparently that user has an MS3, and he is getting some valid data, and looks like he simply needs to complete the calibration process by editing the scaling/formula in tuner studio so the values look correct.

I believe the Megasquirt we have in house is an MS3 PnP, and we will be able to confirm with that system when we can test with it. We don't have an MS2, so we'll need another customer to try it with that system.

From the discussions, it seems there *might* be a firmware compatibility issue on the MS2 side where it cannot read extended CAN IDs; the people maintaining the MS2 firmware could verify for certain.

We'll post here when we can test with our own system. Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

imakehp

Post by imakehp »

Brent, If you had a working MS2 unit in hand would you be able to get it communicating with a AnalogX ?
I have also found a couple different sites with info on what MegaSquirt CANbus is actually broadcasting....I think lol...

Anything I can contribute to getting this all working I'd be happy to help.....

Dave

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Dave, we could give it a shot, if you're offering to send it to us for testing.

From our testing, it seems it works with MS3, but not MS2. Our theory is that possibly MS2 does not support the extended CAN IDs, which the AnalogX uses to broadcast data. If MS3 does support extended CAN IDs, then that could explain the issue.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

imakehp

Post by imakehp »

What would you need besides the MS2 unit?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

We would need the MS unit and way to power it and perform CAN communications (wires connected to it).

By the way, have you otherwise successfully connected other CAN devices to it?
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

imakehp

Post by imakehp »

I have this unit working perfectly with my MS2...
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/can ... interface/

On that site they also have all the documentation for downloading on the unit....like the manual and firmware

The unit just takes a 12v dc power wire and a USB or DB9 cable into a windows computer with TunerSudio program on it...
http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio/download/

I'm worried if you're not familiar with MegaSquirt or it's operation you may have a steeper learning curve then you're willing to take on for this project....BUT, I know MS users are begging for a way to increase the limited I/O channels on the MS2... but the few other people that have tried AnalogX bitched it badly for not working on MS2. So if it was a close to plug-n-play install I'm certain you'd sell a lot of them....

I think you should at least browse through the MS manual to familiarize yourself with CAN wiring (just 2 wires actually) and CAN communications....
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.pdf

I'll help any way I can BUT...I'm not an expert on MS by any means and this would be like a long distance romance kind of thing lol

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Based on the evidence so far, we have established that the problem is not with AnalogX, but likely a compatibility issue on the MS2 side, as described in my previous post.

We can navigate around the MS2 system, we've used it before in our race cars.

If you'd like to send us a system for testing, with some wiring for us to quickly connect it, drop us an email to [email protected].

Thank you,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

imakehp

Post by imakehp »

Just got this info from an expert MS guy........

"The MS2 uses a proprietary extended 29bit. MS3 uses the 29bit as well as a user definable 11bit. On MS2 you cant do much with as far as tweaking its output unless you modify the firmware. Manufacture wont likely do this as MS2 is a EOL product that cant fit anymore in memory. Even the simple cam code I asked for will over load it. MS3 is where its at for CAN flexibility"