Legacy OBDII with RC Apex 1999 Toyota Camry V6

Discussion and research on OBDII integration, especially on OEM specific PIDs from Ford, GM, Chevrolet, BMW, Porsche, Audi, Toyota, Volkswagen, Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Mitsubishi and others.
jsflanagan

Legacy OBDII with RC Apex 1999 Toyota Camry V6

Post by jsflanagan »

I'm trying to get my Racecapture Apex to work with a legacy OBDII adapter to read parameters off my 1999 Camry V6 engine, which is swapped into an MR2 for Champcar. I've got it hooked up, originally had the RJ45 swapped the wrong way around, flipped that but I still don't get any OBDII data. I've got it hooked up to Can bus 1, 500k, I've tried the CAN bus logging script and get no can bus data at all. I've got CAN bus 2 working for my ShiftX. I forgot to look at the firmware and app version, it's probably been almost 2 years since I purchased it and not sure if I've had to upgrade firmware at all along the way I guess I should start there. Not sure what else to try.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi,

CAN1 is correct to use. Try selecting the preset called "Starter OBDII channels" and ensure baud rate is 500K, and that termination is turned on for CAN1.

For connecting to the legacy OBDII adapter, you will need to connect just CANH, CANL, and ground connections between RaceCapture and the legacy OBDII adapter - The legacy OBDII adapter will get 12v from the OBDII port for it's own power.

The CAN logging script will only show the traffic going between RaceCapture and the legacy adapter, plus any diagnostic data sent by the legacy OBDII adapter.

If you haven't updated firmware on RaceCapture recently, we'd recommend doing that as well.

Thanks, we'll watch here for updates.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

jsflanagan

Post by jsflanagan »

Brent, I tried all all of that still nothing, still nothing when I put the can bus logging script in there. Early on I had wired the RJ45 backwards and blew a fuse that supplied the racecapture, could I have screwed something up in the OBD2 module? Should I open it up and take a look around?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi - Yes, reverse polarity might have damaged the OBDII module. We may need to inspect it for damage. Please email [email protected] and we can help further.

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter