Recommended Hotspot SIM card and data plan for video/data streaming

Discussion on the RaceCapture App - Windows, Android, OSX and Linux.

Moderators: JeffC, stieg

dwspen01

Recommended Hotspot SIM card and data plan for video/data streaming

Post by dwspen01 »

I would like to implement to new "Video plus data streaming with racecapture" feature per the wiki instructions and recommended hardware. I have ordered the Netgear LM1300 Modem per the recommendation in the tutorial but am struggling to figure out how much data I will need to stream live video and data to Youtube/Podium Connect.

If I practice on Friday, Race 8 hours on Saturday and race 7 hours on Sunday using 2 1080p webcams, how much of a data plan will I need?

Also, we only race a couple of times per year so is there a SIM card/plan that I won't have to pay a monthly fee all year long and that I can activate when we are actually going to race? I have seen some sim cards on amazon that are only good for 30 days but per my first question, you have to know how much data you will need.

Thanks!
David

brentp
Site Admin

Re: Recommended Hotspot SIM card and data plan for video/data streaming

Post by brentp »

Hi David, there are many sources available to help you calculate video streaming bandwidth usage. Here are some examples:
https://www.google.com/search?channel=f ... data+usage

AT&T and verizon have pay as you go plans, or, you can get a data-only SIM card and temporarily add data to them only when you need it.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dwspen01

Re: Recommended Hotspot SIM card and data plan for video/data streaming

Post by dwspen01 »

Thanks Brent!