Help with coilx setup

Race Capture Pro hardware installation- power, wiring, physical installation, etc. See the dedicated forum for Sensor related topics

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Stvdrag225

Help with coilx setup

Post by Stvdrag225 »

I run outboard drag boats. We use a Race Logic Vbox for data acquisition for our speeds and times. I just added there input module to capture rpm and egt data but the rpm input can't handle the cdi coil input voltage which is around 250v. Race Logic suggested I use the coilx module but the directions show it hooked to a 12v coil. Will this work for my application?

brentp
Site Admin

Re: Help with coilx setup

Post by brentp »

We designed CoilX to work with conventional coil packs, and not tested with CDI ignition. https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/CoilX

Often there is a trigger wire for the ignition the signals when the fire the plugs. Is this trigger wire the one that has the 250v that you indicated?

If so, there is a chance that it may work.

If you have an oscilloscope that has a safe input range (e.g. 500v) then please measure the signal between ground and this trigger wire where you're seeing a 250v pulse and post a video or picture of the waveform. We can compare it against what we have in our wiki, and we can figure out if CoilX can handle it.

-Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Stvdrag225

Post by Stvdrag225 »

I dont have a oscilloscope. This is the primary input currant to the coil at idle its around 180V and at high RPM its around 250V. This is an all mechanical ignition system with no computer involved.

Stvdrag225

Post by Stvdrag225 »

This is where I'm getting the signal
Attachments
Screenshot_20231010_090108_Google~2.jpg
Screenshot_20231010_090108_Google~2.jpg (68.92 KiB) Viewed 79562 times

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks. Although you can't provide data, there is a definite chance it will work if the waveform matches what CoilX expects (as documented in the wiki). As you can understand, there's no guarantees it will work.

Let us know what you end up doing!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter