2 questions - D5 and the Molex connector

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

squirrelgripper

2 questions - D5 and the Molex connector

Post by squirrelgripper »

Just got the board, I've started putting it together.
A few questions:
1. D5 is as tight as the proverbial gnat's ass - should I drill it out with a 1/64" bit? I can't get the component to fit any other way.
2. To power up the board I need to supply 12V thru the Molex connector, right? I've looked at the schematic - how are the 14 pins on the Molex connector numbered? (ie which pin is #1 and which is #14)

Thanks,
Iain

squirrelgripper

Edit: never mind, I've figure

Post by squirrelgripper »

Edit: never mind, I've figured the Molex connector out from the schematic - just to confirm - pin #1 is bottom left, pin #14 is top left as you look at the mating end of the connector, right?

Paratime

Drilling for oil

Post by Paratime »

Personally, before I started drilling a copper foiled PCB, I'd get some #600 sandpaper and thin down the lead a bit.

Paratime

Sand---- BAD!!!

Post by Paratime »

Well, I just finished assembling my unit. It took about 3.5 hours, including gnawing a hole in the case for the serial port. I sanded all the tin off the D5 leads, and it still wouldn't go in. So I broke out a finger drill chuck and drilled out the hole, starting from the foil side, so I could see if it was starting to come delaminated. Everything went quite well. I used a .037 drill, which I believe is a #63.

brentp
Site Admin

the small hole for D5 is curi

Post by brentp »

the small hole for D5 is curious- on the boards I've tested the fit is quite snug, but it slides in without modifications.

You have the 12v zener diode in there for D5, correct? it should be a glass bodied unit, red with a black band.

Let us know how it goes,

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Paratime

Glass houses

Post by Paratime »

Mystery Solved! DigiKey is now shipping the 12v zener with a black bakelite body, which has a thicker lead than the glass D1.

rondefly

D5

Post by rondefly »

Brent, I have a radio shack INT4742A 12 Volt Zener Diode, It has a red body with a black band. Is this correct? Also what is D3? I did not get one on the digikey pack list.

Thanks

rondefly

What is D3

Post by rondefly »

On the assembly instructions you say to install D3, It is not on the DigiKey Pack List. What is it and where do I get one?

Thanks

Ron Triano

brentp
Site Admin

Ron, D3 is one of the 10 d

Post by brentp »

Ron,

D3 is one of the 10 diodes on the first line item of the order form. The digi-key order form doesn't allow enough space, so I had to condense the MJLJ part numbers.

for example; MJLJ D2-4,6-11 : That would be D2 through 4, D6 through 11.

Hope that helps,
Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Paratime

D Day

Post by Paratime »

D3, (and also D2,D4,D6,D7,D8,D9,D10 and D11) is one of the numerous 1N4004 diodes. Mine were black with a silver band, and all came in a single 10 pack from DigiKey.