How do you start and setup your timing. Newbie question.

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

pinto

How do you start and setup your timing. Newbie question.

Post by pinto »

I am looking at this site with great interest, what I would like to know is how do you get the information to programme the unit, does it have to be set up on a rolling road, or just gut reaction while driving, or are basic setups available to start with and you fine tune from there?

Pete.

NickW

I created a map that was basi

Post by NickW »

I created a map that was basically a copy of what my dizzy would have been providing. If you use this as a starting point then nothing should go bang...;-)
I think the best way forward from there is a rolling road session.

Nick.

KITT

So how did you do that?

Post by KITT »

Did you just stick a timing light on the engine and rev it to certain points noting down advance at each rev point? I think this would give a decent 2D map, but how did you factor in the TPS (or MAP)?

NickW

Yup, thats basically what to

Post by NickW »

Yup, thats basically what to do.

Then you just put the same values in for at MAP/TPS points, so it gives a 2D map.

Moving on from there really needs a rolling road unless you have a map from a similar engine or REALLy know what your doing.

Nick.

Paratime

Do I suck?

Post by Paratime »

To get the MAP points, if you have a distributor with a vacuum advance, use a pump and a gauge. Pump up the advance, while watching the timing with a light. When the timing just starts to change, write down this vacuum reading, and the timing. Then for every inch of Hg, (or KPa) write down the timing until it quits changing. Subtract out your base timing, and this will give you the degrees advance for each unit of vacuum you want to chart for. Then add these values down each column of RPM values.

FUN!!!

nzgt6man

timing map

Post by nzgt6man »

I copied my distributor curve by looking in my (factory) workshop manual which gave me all the values for centrifugal (RPM) advance and vacuum advance. I've used this as a safe starting point. Perhaps the main dealer for your car can help? I've found if you talk to the guys on the shop floor they are usually quite willing to help.

Once I had the values I then created a spreadsheet in excel which you can type the numbers into. This then automatically generated the 10X10 timing grid and I've added more functionality to the spreadsheet so you can cut and paste the values into a text file which you can read into the configuration software instead of typing the values in manually. This method stops typing errors and is quicker. I can email it to anyone if they are interested, or perhaps Brent could put it on the site somewhere if people think its worth it?

Robert Proud

ginettaman

Spreadsheet.

Post by ginettaman »

Robert.
I would really interested in your spreadsheet, could you possible e-mail it to me.

[email protected]

Many thanks

Alan.

NickW

Can I have a copy too please?

Post by NickW »

Can I have a copy too please?

[email protected]

Thanks,

Nick.

Richard oxley

timming and set up

Post by Richard oxley »

hi
can anyone help me with setting up my 1300 vauxhall engine on twin 40's. i am going to be using the MAP not the TPS if that is the way to go?? i see that some off u have got spred sheets for such a job. in the uk it may be a bit differcult to get info from a dealer.

hope someone can help
cheers
rich

e-mail [email protected]

brentp
Site Admin

Files Section

Post by brentp »

Feel free to upload any configuration/tuning files under the files section of the site- so all can share. I've already uploaded my 4AG Turbo ignition config there.

Thanks,
Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

SSDD

Hi Rob, please can you give u

Post by SSDD »

Hi Rob, please can you give us a bit more infomation or email it to me so i can have a look

Thanks Steve

[email protected]
She's a bit fat, but DIESEL fitter