Brent please help!!!

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

codydaniels

Brent please help!!!

Post by codydaniels »

I am having problems with my mjlj.My timnig does not advance.On my runtime display my rpm's don't change no matter what the engine is doing,but the boost levels on the display change with the engine.If I hook up a timing light there is no change at all in the timing.I believe the mjlj and my computer are comunicating because I can see the boost levels change on runtime display and I can reflash and retrieve the info.When I disconect the mjlj from the edis I can definatly tell a difference.I have checked my soldering and even resoldered all conections and still have had no luck.what could I be doing wrong

brentp
Site Admin

First thing off is that the C

Post by brentp »

First thing off is that the CPU is alive- good.

It seems that the root of the problem lies in the MJLJ detecting the PIP signal from the EDIS module. It needs this to determine engine RPM.

Do you have access to an oscilliscope? You need to verify functionality in this order:

1. a signal being seen on the PIP line, from the EDIS module.
2. a signal being seen on the emitter of Q1- see:
http://picasso.org/mjlj/source/schemati ... lj_sch.png

and finally a signal being seen on pin 4 of the CPU (the IRQ line).

check these solder connections. Make sure the Q1 transistor is installed correctly, make sure the zener diode is installed with the correct orientation, and also ensure that the jumper is installed where R12 is.

See the pictures in the assembly guide:

http://picasso.org/mjlj/?q=book/view/15

If you find any problems you should see your RPM readings on the screen.

Let us know what you find out!

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

codydaniels

I don't have access to an o-s

Post by codydaniels »

I don't have access to an o-scope.I just toned out my wires with a volt meter and found something interesting.With the plug disconected from the edis and mjlj when I connect to the pip connection at the edis end of my harness I get a tone on 5 different wires at the mjlj end.??????If nothing is connected I would think that I should only get a tone on one wire.The pip,saw,ign.gnd,vrs-,and grd are all tonning back

imp_nut

That sounds like a short to m

Post by imp_nut »

That sounds like a short to me!

But.. I have just tried my controller for the 1st time today, and have had exactly the same problem, except the external circuitry checks out OK. with further investigation, however it seems that the pin-outs on the UK-sourced transistors are different from the schematic.

If i have this right, with pins facing you and the flat on the left, the 2N2222 should be C top pin, B middle, E bottom pin? and I have B top pin, C middle, E bottom pin.

So i think i've blown them all. I think this would result in these symptoms, but I'm no electronics engineer - didn't even realise a transistor could have the pins in different arrangements!

Paul.