Dizzyless Mini Ignition

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Scott Beavis

Dizzyless Mini Ignition

Post by Scott Beavis »

Hello, here is a message which I posted to the MegaJolt yahoo list yesterday. Brent directed me here. Any advice or comments from you experts? I see someone here has already done a mini installation. I'd be very grateful if that person could say hi and tell me more about their setup! Cheers, Scott

----
Hello again! I posted here back in the autumn about ford EDIS bits
and bobs and using the 16F84 PIC etc.

I still plan to convert my mini to a distributor-less ignition
system. I like the look of megajolt.

Since my last email I have aquired the following on ebay:
- EDIS4 module
- Ford Sierra timing cover with 36-1 pulley and sensor
- Ford zetec coil pack

I plan to assemble this with spark plugs in a bit of MDF and spin
the wheel with a drill. Hopefully 10'BTDC "get you home" sparks
should be produced.

If that all looks ok, then I'll move onto the next stage. The PIP-
>SAW converter. Three options here...
a) MJ/MJL/MJLjr (whats the difference between em?)
b) Home made PIC circuit using eg: 16F84
c) Non-microcontroller version with eg: bargraph ic and ten
monstable periods

Option c is the simplest and easiest to build, but is not very
elegant and will probably be a pig to setup. Option b would entail
lots of teething trouble and grief.

So, option a....the megajolt thingamijjig. So, what's the deal then?
I saw some circuits etc floating around. Do I just knock that up
onto some stripboard? What about setup software and firmware?

I *really* like the thought of having a laptop on the passenger seat
and tweeking the advance curves (not while driving obviously!)

I don't need the vacuum sensor thing (my current Aldon Yellow dizzy
is mech-adv only to 7krpm, no vac-adv) so all I need is a simple
look up table of RPM vs SAW period. Anyone got a circuit and
firmware for a cut down version which does just this?

I'm on twin SU's so no need for EFI, lambdas, TPS, etc etc. Just the
36-1 wheel that is all I need (I think).

Any advice or comments would be gratefully received. I have
electronics degree background, and do VB dev for a job, so I'm ok
with software and electronics. Firmware side is a bit rusty, but
I'll pick it up I'm sure. Did a bit of assembler once on a BBC
computer...hated it! 400 lines of code to make an LED blink! :-(

Scott

cng1

Go fot it

Post by cng1 »

The easiest thing to do is to order a kit of megajolt bits from Bill Shurvinton, he has PCBs the components, map sensors, cases, connectors on the shelf. A couple of hours to solder it up and test it and away you go. The software and firmware is downloadable from the "downloads" section of this site.

You really do want to run vacuum advance, it'll make a big difference to driveability. It's just one hose to connect from the manifold to the megajolt so it's hardly difficult to do. If you did want to run a fixed 2D map them the megajolt will do it, all you'd have to do is put in a single line of load points.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

Scott Beavis

Re: Dizzyless Mini Ignition

Post by Scott Beavis »

Thanks for the info. Yeh, I suppose it would be ok to connect up the vacuum hose, I just wanted to keep it all nice and simple for now, but it sounds like *more* work NOT to use the vacuum part of the system.

I am talking to Bill Shurvinton on email and have asked him about ordering parts. I expect I'll just get the PCB and processor to start with, as working for an electronics company, I can get hold of most common components easily.

I'll keep you all posted on my progress. I'll build a mock up on MDF first to prove it all works before I ebay off my dizzy and force myself into going down this road. The mini engine is in bits at the mo, should be back together around March time, so hopefully I'll be tweeking advance curves then too. Exciting stuff!!!!! :-)

Scott

Scott Beavis

Windows Software?

Post by Scott Beavis »

Just having a look at the setup software and it appears to be a weird java thing. Is there a simple windows application available? I am on a newish Dell PC running XP.

Scott

cng1

Windows software

Post by cng1 »

There isn't any other software that I know of. The java widget is a bit of a pain to get talking to your serial port but works great once you've cracked that problem. As long as you follow the instructions it shouldn't be an issue - I've just set up a batch file that I click on that runs the jar file.

Give us a shout once you get things running and I'll email you a copy of my basic map which should be good enough to get you running.
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

brentp
Site Admin

I'm working on a setup progra

Post by brentp »

I'm working on a setup program that should ease the installation of the Java program.

Otherwise, if someone has time to write a windows based app, that would be great!

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Keith Johnson

dizzy less mini

Post by Keith Johnson »

Hi scott,

im part way through installing it on my mini, so far so good. Ordered all the ecu parts through this site and nowhave the ecu built (quite simple really) and its actually talking to my pc. Have begun to fit the toothed wheel to pulley and have all the edis bits ready. May be a good idea for us to keep each other posted and talk over issues we come across. From people i've spoken to its a good idea to have the map facility connected (using dizzy take off from manifold).

Keith