Datalogging EEC IV... any insight???

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

XLRVIII

Datalogging EEC IV... any insight???

Post by XLRVIII »

I found this forum in my feeble attempt in searching for Datalogging My EEC-IV car.

I see this system here in a stand alone operation which bypasses the original PCM, which is VERY COOL!

My question is, is there away to use MegaJolt in a manner that it doesnt "replace" the original PCM, as I would be able to use it to datalog 02's, MAF, and other parameters like I see in the screenshots?

I know this is a little "off the beaten path" for what you have accomplished here, but there is a market for such a device in the EECIV world as no real means to datalog EECIV exists unless you are running a 5.0 with the A9L processor.

Any insight you or anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards
Tommy Douglas
Crazy 8's Racing
95 Lincoln Mark VIII
14.28 @ 97MPH
4.6 DOHC

4600cc

Hi there. I had a crown vic

Post by 4600cc »

Hi there. I had a crown vic and now a gt running Megajolt and Megasquirt. The combination of those two beats anything Ford boys can make, including anything in the general tuner world.. So 14.28 is not impressive, especially that you have DOHC with dual length runners.

You know, you could really benefit from Megajolt's programmable outputs for running those runners properly. As well, you could benefit from a better ignition, its easy to install on your car.

On crown vic, due to bumpy map I got it loose at over 100 mph, with bad results. Ask anybody and they will tell you it is impossible. But I have a wrecked car to prove it. So maybe you do want to go DIY and get Megajolt for your ignition and Megasquirt for your fuel. You will be upgrading your car's performance and spend a lot less money.

What is MAF? We dont even use that, they are expensive and hard to tune with.

<hr>

Nah, you cant log your MAF function using Megajolt... You will only be able to log, engine speed, engine load, load and speed accel, and since you wont be using timing you cant log timing.

Right now you're on the path of spending a lot of money for very little, Im assuming you going to modify your EEC-IV.. Ive been on the mailing list from Tom Cloud's site for quite sometime, and the most experienced tuners agree that EEC-IV is not enough, and that Megasquit and Megajolt is a better choice. Not to mention a cheaper choice.

Bottom line, you cant use this for logging, but if you use it for what it is designed you will get great results and spend a lot less money.

<hr>

Now tell me, does your Ford have coil over plug or coil packs and ignition wires? ;)

XLRVIII

The car went 15.30's stock,

Post by XLRVIII »

The car went 15.30's stock, changing to 373's and adding exhaust dropped a over a full second of the cars ET, while it's not the fastest car on the planet, it does well for what it is.. a GRANDMAS CAR.

I put my 100LB girlfriend in the car and she went 14.06@99MPH, again not the fastest car on the planet, but it WILL suprise alot of the "so called race cars".

Thanks for your replies and suggestions, and to answer your question..

the 93-96 Mark VIIIs have two coil packs on the front of the engines
the 97-98 uses the COP, coil on plug system

Mine.. is a 95 with almost 400,000 miles and well over 5000 dragstrip passes.
95 Lincoln Mark VIII
14.28 @ 97MPH
4.6 DOHC

4600cc

Well, I have a good news for

Post by 4600cc »

Well, I have a good news for you, installation of Megajolt on your car involves these 3 steps:

1) Connect two wires from Megajolt to EDIS-8
2) Provide +12 and -12 V power for Megajolt
3) Attach vacuum to Megajolt

Done! Then you connect your laptop and it will run like a beauty...

So, you will need these to perform your installation:

A) Megajolt unit
B) vacuum T fitting and another fitting to go through firewall
C) Some wires and vacuum tubing

Megajolt unit will run you cheap, you can buy the kit or a complete unit from Brent. See purchasing, then check out for sale section. I bet you can put it together yourself. But if not, you can buy an assembled unit.

Talk to me which vacuum fittings to get, I'll give you URL to where you can order them and which P/Ns. That will also give you an idea if you want to get those locally in a hardware store.

And that's it. You done. You can have your Megajolt running in less than 1 hour. You will have to be careful when tuning, because too much timing can mean cracked pistons on our 4.6L engines. But that's no problem, just increase timing little by little and listen to the engine.

So what you say? Do you want to be able to tune your car using a laptop and be the guy with coolest ignition at the strip?

I think you should get Megajolt. It will benefit you, and it will benefit the Megajolt project as the word spreads. And you my friend, will be the first one to have it running on Mark VIII. You cant go wrong here, Megajolt is being used by many hotrodders and racers around the world. I'll help you with your setup free of charge, maybe you could even make us installation instructions.

As an added benefit, Megajolt is being constantly developed. Soon we will have rapid acceleration feature. That's used in many European and exotic cars, and provides more timing when engine acceleration increases, which means more power. You could make good use of that with your 3.73 gears.

XLRVIII

Thank you very much, I will

Post by XLRVIII »

Thank you very much, I will be looking into this and considering the install.. your comments and ideas are greatly appreciated.

I will probably not build it myself, as my soldering skills are well... non existant, I would rather spend a little more and have one assembled for me.

I am passing this thread on to one of my buddies, who "isn't afraid of a soldering iron"..HAHA

Now.. if I had only found THIS before I spend nearly a GRAND on my SCT ProRacer software {kicks myself}

I like the SCT stuff,all except for the nearly vertical learning curve, once I got over that first hump.. I found out I really NEED a datalogging option, which is how I found THIS NICE PLACE you have on the internet.

Thanks again for your priceless information.
95 Lincoln Mark VIII
14.28 @ 97MPH
4.6 DOHC

4600cc

Please pass on to the MARK

Post by 4600cc »

Please pass on to the MARK VIII community.

brentp
Site Admin

Welcome to the project, and

Post by brentp »

Welcome to the project, and thanks for your post and interesting feedback. And yes, we are progressively making updates to the system! Recently the the 3.1.0 firmware was released, with a host of new features and improvements, with the most significant one offering switching between ignition configurations on the fly.

Search for "3.1.0" for more information.

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

XLRVIII

Without a doubt will be

Post by XLRVIII »

Without a doubt will be passed on to the rest of the Mark VIII folks!
www.mark8.org is one of the better forums out there for these "Grandma Cars".

Thanks again for your assistance and informaton!

Kindest Regards
Tommy Douglas
95 Lincoln Mark VIII
14.28 @ 97MPH
4.6 DOHC