What new MJLJ firmware feature would you like to see?

Discussion on Future Megajolt hardware / software upgrades.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

What new MJLJ firmware feature would you like to see?

Post by brentp »

If there was one feature you'd like to see added to the controller firmware, what would you like to see?

I'll go first: Configurable traction control. Upon detection of 'wheel slippage' (i.e. unrealistically high engine acceleration) the ignition would be automatically retarded, reducing power and hopefully bringing the wheels under control.

Any other ideas?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Supercharged Nat

Post by Supercharged Nat »

your guna hate me for saying it, but for me it has to be the retard upon sensing detonation.. i like the traction control idea too, just with my car, id prefer not to have it. It would need to be ablt to turn it off though, as sometimes people like to 'light them up' :twisted:

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

A start-up ignition setting separate from the main map - as discussed elsewhere! :D

David

fikus01

Post by fikus01 »

im torn between a changable timing start point +- 5 degrees and auxilary input for lambda reading as also discussed elsewhere!
DO SOMETHING SILLY, TURBO AN 1100CC METRO :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Supercharged Nat wrote:your guna hate me for saying it, but for me it has to be the retard upon sensing detonation.. i like the traction control idea too, just with my car, id prefer not to have it. It would need to be ablt to turn it off though, as sometimes people like to 'light them up' :twisted:
Ok, just to clarify :) When I mean firmware upgrade I'm talking about features that can be implemented with minimal to no hardware changes.

For the traction control feature it would be more like 'launch control' that can be enabled or disabled from the cockpit. Seems like the many disproportionately high powered cars (turbo/supercharged) running MJLJ could benefit from this. :)

Keep the ideas coming!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

brentp wrote: Ok, just to clarify :) When I mean firmware upgrade I'm talking about features that can be implemented with minimal to no hardware changes.
I reckon my suggestion qualifies! :P

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

I had a thought as I was out driving my car this morning... how about some form of 'map coverage' function?

I can picture the following scenario:

Car running, with the laptop plugged into the MJ unit.
Press a function key to start 'map coverage'.
Drive the car briskly, including acceleration, braking and cruising at various speeds.
At the end of the run, look at the map grid to see which cells have been used during the run.

The 'visited cells' could be a different colour while this function was working, to return to normal once the test was finished.

I think it would be useful to see whether the whole map is being used - if there are areas where the map hasn't been used then the X/Y scales can be adjusted. It would also be useful where there isn't a passenger to watch the grid while driving!

This functionality is likely to be just a configurator change - I can't see why the firmware would need modification.

What do you think, Brent?

cheers,
David

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

That is an excellent idea. I would imaging a histogram view of used load and RPM cells, based on the current data logging history.

Thanks!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

brentp wrote:That is an excellent idea. I would imaging a histogram view of used load and RPM cells, based on the current data logging history.

Thanks!
Not sure what you mean by a 'histogram view' Brent! I was thinking along simpler lines - just colour the cells on the set-up grid (not the run-time display) that get used in a run (including the ones that are used in interpolations).

David

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Why keep it simple? 8)

Some sort of indication of how much time is spent in which cells would be excellent as just colouring them in if they've been "visited" (ie used in interpolation) doesn't give you an idea of which parts of the map are being used most/least and could potentially benefit from finer/coarser tuning by adjusting the rpm and load axes...

Just my $0.02....
Martin

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

Why keep it simple? So simple beggars like me can understand it! :D

Whatever route is taken, it should be easy to understand the results. If anyone here has ever looked at the MegaSquirt documentation you will see that it is a total nightmare, and very hard to make a start into it. MJLT is a delight by comparison!

David

Ken555

Post by Ken555 »

Not a firmware suggestion, but a software one.

How about an option to reload/replay the .csv file from the logging.
Unless it's already there and I can't find it.

I'm using Excel to do it at the moment.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

MartinM wrote:Why keep it simple? 8)

Some sort of indication of how much time is spent in which cells would be excellent as just colouring them in if they've been "visited" (ie used in interpolation) doesn't give you an idea of which parts of the map are being used most/least and could potentially benefit from finer/coarser tuning by adjusting the rpm and load axes...

Just my $0.02....
Martin
That's why I suggested the histogram view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histogram

The data that feeds this view would be sourced from the datalogging stream. When considering the examples in the link above, think of a 3-D version of this chart representing the dataset we're working with.

Cool stuff.

David: Thanks! :)

david jenkins

Post by david jenkins »

It's OK - I know what a histogram is. but I was curious to know how you'd apply it...

;)

knastenrad

Post by knastenrad »

as mentioned in another thread.
I would like a option that can adjust the complete map "offset" +/- 10 degrees (or whatevere number) to simulate turning a distributor back and forth.
both to dial in the loction of the VR sensor and to roughly tune the ignition map.