1986 Toyota Trueno (Corolla) Hatch

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

dr.occa

1986 Toyota Trueno (Corolla) Hatch

Post by dr.occa »

<<<old engine bay>>>

>>>new engine bay<<<

>>>"custom" vacuum reservoir<<<

video/sound clip: http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i153/ ... action.flv
Last edited by dr.occa on Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sunray

Post by sunray »

Nice! Do you have any shots showing your vr sensor install?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

You have to have one of the cleanest hachi's around. Very very nice. :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

thanks guys. i passed up an opportunity to pick up a GZE AW11 for only $900...i could just KICK myself. :x

sunray check out this thread for a shot of my vr sensor mounting:

quick 4AGE question for brentp (and others running the 4AGE)

dr.occa

new updates

Post by dr.occa »

after having developed rod knock in the "1620" 4age setup i've gone back to a complete hi-comp sp (head & block) 16v setup.

278 cams and with the option to go back and forth between TPS & MAP w/ a flip of the switch.

also, wired and going w/ a COP setup.

i wired it up just the way i have it diagrammed out in the picture above.

shots of the engine:

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Nice job, looks great!

The spanish speaking guys around here just call them a "1.8", not a Corolla.

alexander

Post by alexander »

dear dr occa,
probably i am missing something, but why did you use two EDIS units to fire the COP units? couldnt you have just two wires from CoilA and CoilB output, each to one of the COP units?

regards
alexander.

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

alexander wrote:dear dr occa,
probably i am missing something, but why did you use two EDIS units to fire the COP units? couldnt you have just two wires from CoilA and CoilB output, each to one of the COP units?

regards
alexander.
i had originally intended to use just one EDIS unit to perform the task but in discussing this w/ cribbj on his Lexus build sunray pined in with the following:
sunray wrote:One thing to note is that the higher the cylinder pressures (ie: with higher rpm) then the higher the resistance that will be encountered to fire each spark plug. This would leave you with increasingly less reserve voltage to adequately fire each cylinder. I would think that if you are using a maximum dwell time too often with no reserve voltage then you may end up with some overheated coils. Its just a thought, but may not be the case in practice. You could confirm this pretty easily by hooking up a lab scope with some long leads and go for a road test with the scope next to you. watch the waveform and pay particular attention to the firing lines and then the dwell time through the rpm's.
based on that, i thought more on it and i also followed this line of thinking: the EDIS 4 fires only 2 coils essentially. 1&4 are essentially one coil firing both cyls w/ one always on waste. the same for 2&3. with that, introducing an extra coil on each channel increases the "work load" of the EDIS unit to deliver what it originally did for 1 coil per channel to now 2 coils per channel. so coupled w/ sunray's above thoughts and my desire to get it done closer to right the first time w/ lowest amount of failure, i went w/ 2 edis units distributing the coils to where they each ignited only 2 as they originally were intended.

hope that made sense.

alexander

Post by alexander »

thanks for the thoughts. obviously it works as intended and that is the main thing in the end. the COP setup is very cool, i must say....

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

in spite of dealing w/ ripping out the carpet, trim, moving furniture w/o power but help from family and friends (Thanks IKE and stupid 3hr johnny come lately rain!!!), fired up the car...she idles nice and evenly.

new bigger cams, so will have to re-jet. time to get a wide band this time. pics soon.

even with my own planning and diagramming out the setup i still managed to get the wires on the COPs reversed :oops:. anyway, flipped the wires and the 86 fired right up w/o a hitch.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Looks good- how does it sound? Would love to see a new video!

How do you like the sidedrafts? Are they mikunis or webers? We have a set of triple webers impatiently waiting to be installed on our 'new' 240z project car... but there are other projects in line ahead of it. :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

brentp wrote:Looks good- how does it sound? Would love to see a new video!

How do you like the sidedrafts? Are they mikunis or webers? We have a set of triple webers impatiently waiting to be installed on our 'new' 240z project car... but there are other projects in line ahead of it. :)
love the mikunis. have been loving them for the past 4+ years.

i'll upload a video soon.

i'd love to see the z project.

my friend's z.

i'll see about turning him on to mjlj.
Attachments
1mzfe-COPs.JPG
1mzfe-COPs.JPG (107.73 KiB) Viewed 27536 times
Last edited by dr.occa on Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AUTOSPORTLABS
NonStop Tuning
www.86garage.com

"Poverty is not a virtue."

sunray

Post by sunray »

I like the look of the wiring set-up for your cop system. I think I may use that myself at some point as it looks like you kept it simple enough.

dr.occa

Post by dr.occa »

sunray wrote:I like the look of the wiring set-up for your cop system. I think I may use that myself at some point as it looks like you kept it simple enough.
glad if it helps.

bj

Post by bj »

Dr. OCCA

what kind of COPs are you using?

make/model/part #s if possible?

thanks.

bj