Installing the boot loader

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Rob Heslop

Installing the boot loader

Post by Rob Heslop »

I've almost got my second MJLJ vs.2 up and running, but I can't seem to get the boot loader onto the chip, what hardware do people use to do this?

I've tried using but my MJ (which I've tested using the chip from my first MJ & it works fine) and I've tried using a pic programmer I picked up on eBay for a few quid, and neither seem to work.

Any suggestions?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Rob,

Normally you wouldn't need to flash the bootloader for the MJLJ chip if you sourced the chip as part of a completed / partial kit: It should already have the bootloader and default MJLJ firmware installed. Is this the case?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Rob Heslop

Post by Rob Heslop »

Brent,

I sourced the parts separately (including etching the PCB) the chip came from Farnell, so it has absolutely nothing on it. I've down loaded the boot loader software and tryed it on a couple of computers (wasn't sure if it was my serial to USB adaptor that was causing the problem, so tried an older machine with a serial port) but I've yet to get it to recognise the chip, I just get: "Waiting For HC08" Reset ACK..........."

Rob

Gilesy998

Post by Gilesy998 »

I got the same message Rob, when I was loading on the latest firmware last night.
I've been having some sporadic comms difficulties (using a non-Huge Pine chipset adapter) so I decided to try the lastest firmware to see if that helped.
It just hung up, giving the message Brent describes. However, I cycled the power to the controller and I got all goods and 100% etc back on the screen. Though it might be iffy because I'd broken the link, but I uploaded a new map fine, and read it back without a problem. The MAP readout works when I stick the hose in my gob too, so all seems well, and the comms fault's gone. Try again, and when it hangs, just off-and-on-ify the MJLJ.

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

I don't think you can get the bootloader onto a blank chip using the MJLJ hardware. I'm sure you need a seperate programmer. I'm currently building a "Willette" programmer on some stripboard for a possible Megasquirt project a friend is working on, so I thought i's also have a go at making the adaptor to suit the MJLJ chip whilst I was at it.

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

capri_turbo wrote:I don't think you can get the bootloader onto a blank chip using the MJLJ hardware. I'm sure you need a seperate programmer
Absolutely correct....

yeha

Post by yeha »

I built a Willette programmer, but couldn't get it to work. Fortunately I found a Dataman 48 at work which did the job in seconds.

Oliver Sedlacek

Post by Oliver Sedlacek »

I want to try loading the bootloader with a MON08 link. Where can I get the bootloader (presumably S19) file from?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

The bootloader for the kx8 processor can be found here:
http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V3_Downloads (under the tools section).
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Oliver Sedlacek

Post by Oliver Sedlacek »

Thanks Brent.