Firmware update not working - help please - I'm new!

Information and announcements on updates to the Megajolt firmware and PC software

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Hi,

I have now changed the polarity of C3 and C4, but there is no improvement.

I get the occasional 0xfc returned, otherwise it's 0x80(off-key).

Whatever is returned I always get 'Can't read MCU info (forgot.....)

To top this all off, I've spotted a leaking core plug on the block!

:?

Jon.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hmm- I'm a bit at a loss. your chip was programmed with the bootloader that's installed on it already, so it should, in theory, work.

Double check the polarity of all of the tantalum capacitors- or try a different set. With the extra caps installed you should have plenty of margin in the circuit.

Let us know if you're still stuck!

Sorry about your block!! I'm diagnosing a weird sound in my turbo 4AG engine as well, I'm fearing a major teardown. :(

Regards,
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Brent,

I've tried another set of caps, triple-checking the polarity with the datasheet - no change.

Martin M has offered to take a look at the board for me and try to find what's wrong, so I
think I'm going to have to go this route.

I hope it's not me doing something stupid!

I'm mechanical rather than electronic, so at least the core plug's sorted!

Thanks for your efforts.

Jon.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Thanks for the update- and thanks Martin for stepping up to help! :) I'm sure we'll get this sorted out.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Brent,

All up and running fine now, thanks to Martin.

He swapped the chip to a MAX232, and it is working fine with the 1uF caps I had soldered on.

Looks like it was a dodgy ST232EBN.

Thanks for your advice, though.

:D

Andy Hill

Post by Andy Hill »

I having same problems mine was bought back in May 2006 as a fully assembled.

Andy

steve100

Post by steve100 »

Brent - I emailed you yesterday about having exactly the same issue again (as in Jan 07) after upgrading the capacitorss C3 to C6 and C10 to 1 mfd tantalums - just seen this series of posts - I asked whether the Max 232 could be at fault - from these replies it looks like it could be - mine was also a fully assembled board - again around mid 06!!
Regards
Steve

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Steve,

Just emailed you. So back in January you patched in the 1uF capacitors and you successfully upgraded to the then 3.1.0 beta firmware- I wonder what's different now? Did you need to try very many times back then to get it to work? Also, once you programmed it successfully, did you try programming it again to see how reliably it operated?

Thanks,
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

steve100

Post by steve100 »

After upgrading the capacitors it worked first time, did the upgrade.
Nothing else has changed - same cable , PC etc.
Now it just wont work.
I'll look for a max 232a & try cutting the old one out.
Regards
Steve

capri_turbo

Post by capri_turbo »

I had EXACTLY the same problem last week. I was using an old laptop with proper serial port... tried 3 computers all with proper serials and always get the exact same thing. "cannot read MCU forgot to set single wire mode?" or words to that effect.

Now... heres what I did to fix it.

Power up the MJLJ BEFORE running HC08SPRG.exe. NOW, I know this goes against all instructions but bear with me.

When it comes up with awaiting the reset, power down the MJLJ and then power it up again... it worked straight away for me, BUT it doesn't work with USB to serial as I tried that too.

Incidentally, i am using a MAX232 with the 0.1uF charge pump caps. I will be changing these next time the unit is out of the car. I have no trouble communicating using any tuning software, just when doing the firmware upgrade... hopefully I won't need to do that too often.

steve100

Post by steve100 »

Thanks -I'll try that & revert back
Brent told me that the configurator comms transfer rate is 4800 baud but the update firmware is at 9600 baud hence why the configurator works but the upgrade doesnt - maybe a bad batch of max232s which are obviosly on their limits above 4800
Cheers
Steve

steve100

Post by steve100 »

Tried it - regretfully no change.
Looks like a max232a is required - any advice on removing te soldered in chip
Is it best to use a socket for the new chip?
Steve

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Cut the main body off the legs...
...then remove the legs one by one
...using a solder sucker (or wick, but I never have much luck with that) to remove the maximum amount of solder with the minimum amount of heat soak

Yes, definitely use a socket for the next one...

Andy Hill

Post by Andy Hill »

capri_turbo wrote:
Power up the MJLJ BEFORE running HC08SPRG.exe. NOW, I know this goes against all instructions but bear with me.

When it comes up with awaiting the reset, power down the MJLJ and then power it up again... it worked straight away for me, BUT it doesn't work with USB to serial as I tried that too.
Tired that & it doesn;t work either ; Looks Like I'll need to change the Max 232

steve100

Post by steve100 »

Changed the Max232 to a Max 232ACPE in a socket.
Checked it first on the configurator to see if reading & writing worked - it did.
Tried to update firmware to V3.2.1 and it worked first time and updated perfectly.
Problem solved - thanks everyone.

Regards
Steve