Load Kpa Dial

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mikaking

Load Kpa Dial

Post by mikaking »

Hi all,

I know how to adjust the ignition bin values, i.e the load bins which i have no. 10 at 120. How do i change the dial and runtime chart to show this reading. At the moment the dial is going off maximum when i drive and the chart shows a straight line at the top while the reading is above the default value.

Thanks

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello,

Ensure you have the configuration software set to your current configuration- TPS or MAP; and normally aspirated or boosted. You can find these settings under Tools / Options on the configuration software.

If you're running TPS you may need to calibrate your sensor- you can find that calibration dialog under the same Tools menu.

Regards,

mikaking

Post by mikaking »

Thanks for the quick response.

As you see (as picture 1) this is what i'm getting with the ignition map loads (as picture 2), or am i supposed to be doing something else?

:?
Attachments
pic1.JPG
pic1.JPG (119.05 KiB) Viewed 7537 times
pic2.JPG
pic2.JPG (56.56 KiB) Viewed 7538 times

mikaking

Post by mikaking »

Sorry i think i'm being a bit thick. My car is N/A and i take it 100kpa is atmospheric so the reading couln't pysically go higher unless by forced induction. I was looking at the runtime chart and thinking it was going of the scale as it was hitting the top. Saying that though is there any way to change the RPM scale to suit individual cars upper limits?

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Thickness is allowed (but not continuously) :D

No current way of scaling the rpm values on the strip chart, but I'm sure Brent will add it to his list!

mikaking

Post by mikaking »

No more thickness then. I've only just started playing around properly with the values so forgive me.

I just took the car out for another spin with the N/A box unticked and was hitting 104Kpa. I'm only in Worcestershire (not to low) but i guess it's because of the blue skys and sunny where i am - meaning high pressure. Does this mean at full throttle the MJLJ could double up as a barometer? :wink:
Last edited by mikaking on Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Barometer - maybe - but you must have been giving it some beans to get plain atmospheric inside the manifold when driving - or do you mean resting with the engine off 8)

Remember the %age accuracies on absolute values as well - it's phenomenal that the MJLJ measures so accurately given the standard components it uses - so measuring 104 when it's maybe 101-102 is still pretty darned good.

mikaking

Post by mikaking »

So thats a good result then, the car does go well with the mod's i've made.

If you look at the runtime chart pic above you can see where the chart stops and the peaks go beyond, not at rest but under accelleration. So i guess i've done something right :)

steve100

Post by steve100 »

It does indeed act as a barometer when the engine is not running, since the MAP4250 sensor is an absolute pressure sensor and so measures atmospheric pressure. It is not uncommon on sunny 'high pressure ) days to see 1040 -1045 millibar ( 1 mbar is exactly the same as 100 Pa ). I suggested to Brent that the range for NA engines be changed to 105 kPa or maybe 110 kPa to accommodate this. Similarly the atmospheric pressure on a Low day can often be only 980-985 mbar (98-98.5 kPa). (950 mbar is not impossible either - Hurricane Katrina etc!!!)