Welcome to 2008!

Autosport Labs news and product announcement discussion.

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

brentp
Site Admin

Welcome to 2008!

Post by brentp »

Happy 2008!

2007 simply flew by. As usual, we've been extremely busy, both in personal and professional lives. Our family had our second girl in Dec 2006, and our 1st, turned 3. Since they are copies of us, they are quite a handful! I can't wait to get them into go-karts. :)

My wife and partner, Kelley, has been extremely busy doing the lion's share of daily child care, running the business and administrative side of Autosport Labs and also donating a a tremendous amount of time and energy to charity work. She is truly a shining star behind the scenes.

2007 was the birth of Autosport Labs- we're soon coming up to our 1 year anniversary! We spent the bulk of our effort in 2007 developing the website, gearing up our R&D capacity, and generally becoming more organized, all to support upcoming projects.

Here are some updates:

Marketing stuff

We're going to commission artwork for T-shirts and make up a batch of Autosport Labs decals and perhaps windshield banners.

For the T-Shirts, we will have artwork featuring the quintessential car for grassroots/DIY type motorsport enthusiasts with the Autosport Labs Logo.

I was thinking of what car would be best represented, or perhaps a range of vehicles. LoCost? Classic Mini? E30 M3? PM or reply with your suggestions.

R&D Test Platform - Turbocharged MK1 MR2

Our primary R&D test platform(aka science experiment) Turbocharged MK1 MR2 is back up and running. I've been diagnosing a nagging engine rattle at low RPMs- first I thought it was a loose valve train. When I measured clearances and found them in fact too tight, I switched my attention to the bottom end. I found some unusually worn rod bearings, which have been replaced. Having not 'fixed' the rattle, my thoughts are back to the valve-train, or perhaps the connecting rod small ends. In any case, it seems the engine is healthy enough to test on, so I'll drive it to "conclusion" :twisted: , or until I identify the source of the noise.

ImageImage

R&D Test Platform #2 - 240Z ?

We're considering a second test platform- a sporty, easy to work on RWD vehicle that has minimal engine management and perferrably >4 cylinders. Our thoughts are on an early Z, perhaps a 240z.. More on that later.

CPU Module

In 2007 we developed the Autosport Labs 'CPU Module', a piece that will bridge high technology with DIY friendliness. First revealed here, the CPU module will be the heart of most, if not all, major Autosport Labs projects. It represents a quantum leap forward - balancing processing power and cost.

Some quick specs:

32 bit ARM processor, 50MHz CPU clock
32 I/O ports
A collection of peripherals, including an integrated USB2 Port

The CPU module is designed to be plugged into a main board. And, this main board will still be targeted for DIY, self-assembly enthusiasts. The CPU Module will be provided pre-assembled and tested. e.g. If you order a kit for Project X or Y you will receive all the parts for the main board and a pre-assembled/tested CPU module.

Hard Rev Limiter

Beta testing is slow, but the design appears to be sound. Thanks to the existing beta testers- I will be following up with some of you for needed updates.

We will be making a small initial quantity available in the online store in the next few weeks.

Enhancements to MJLJ V2/3

We're working on a configuration software update, working in some bug fixes, some enhancements and valuable feedback from all of you. Expect a beta test version in a couple of weeks.

Coolant sensor support I am planning to add support for a coolant sensor with advance modification to the existing MJLJ V2 and 3. For those who are interested, this enhancement will require a hardware mod on the board (using AUX input), in addition to obvious updates to the firmware and configuration software.

Hard Rev Limit output - We will further refine the behaviour of the hard rev limiter output. We'll add the capability to disable coil packs on alternating coils before a wholesale hard cut. This should significantly soften the effects of the rev limiter.

With the enhancement, this is what will happen:

100 RPMs before hard rev limit: Advance goes to 0 degrees BTDC
At hard rev limit: Cut coil pack power, alternating on ignition events
100(?) RPMs beyond hard rev limit: Cut power completely.

Next MJLJ hardware revision - We don't have immediate plans to rev the current MJLJ hardware. We're primarily focusing on our long term, next gen ignition controller. We may do a very minor rev (only a few components) to support the coolant temp feature, and if demand continues for MJLJ, migrate to a different compatible processor since the current MCHC908KX8 has reached end of life.

Megajolt2

Megajolt2 will be a quantum leap forward over the MJLJ.

Some quick facts:
- Fully stand alone - no EDIS module.
- Support up to 8 coil drivers, with flexible coil driving scheme. Initial support will be equivalent to Ford EDIS, meaning supporting even-fire 4,6,8 cylinder engines.
- Support a variety of coil packs
- inputs for sensors (coolant / TPS)
- Integrated MAP sensor option
- Compatible with existing 36-1 EDIS-styled trigger wheel setups. Yes, there will be an easy transition from existing MJLJ/EDIS installations.
- GPIO (user definable outputs, inputs, etc.)