no 5volt

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

sierra2dr

no 5volt

Post by sierra2dr »

Ok,just been assembling the MB,and have tested the C7 and C5. Here are pictures how I am doing it. I'm sure someone will spot my error.
I am using a 9volt battery
and I have connected just GND and Live wires to the molex to power up
and here is my multimeter
thanks in advance

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Post a picture of how the components are installed. Possibly a reversed diode? Also, you must check at C7 and C10, not C5. Check all your solder joints, possibly a cold solder?

sierra2dr

Post by sierra2dr »

Thanks for your reply Danny
DannyP wrote:Post a picture of how the components are installed.
I don't know if you can see the picture clearly,my mobile camera isn't great
DannyP wrote: Possibly a reversed diode?
doesn't seem so,but I am comparing my build against Brents photos
DannyP wrote:Also, you must check at C7 and C10, not C5.
Oh yeh,C10,that is what I meant,honest :D
DannyP wrote:Check all your solder joints, possibly a cold solder?

didn't know what cold solder is,I suspect it means not enough heat.

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Do I win the prize?

Your +V and ground wires into the Molex are at the wrong end of the plug....

sierra2dr

Post by sierra2dr »

MartinM wrote:Do I win the prize?

Your +V and ground wires into the Molex are at the wrong end of the plug....
they are?
I was going off Brents diagram
next to PGM4 there is that notch,which I suspect is the clip. Ok,will try other end

MartinM

Post by MartinM »

Yep - the diagram is looking into the board, so it's the same as looking into the back of the plug....

...so with the (EDIT) notch at the top and everything horizontal, the power connections are on the right. Yours are on the left...

EDIT: If the next question is "how do I get the pins out of the Molex?" then:
a) use a proper pin removal tool
b) use a proper pin removal tool
c) use a proper pin removal tool
d) if you soldered the wires to the pins, you could pull very hard on the wires. You will eventually pull the pin out. You might be lucky and not damage the inside of the plug, or you might damage it. If you do, you won't get a new pin to locate securely. If you never want to use PGM2 or TACH OUT ever then that's OK, otherwise you will need a new plug. You also will damage the pin, and have to use a new one
e) don't bother - accept that you PGM2 wire is brown and your TACH OUT wire is red.

If I couldn't do a) to c), I'd do e)

sierra2dr

Post by sierra2dr »

You are correct Martin,thanks m8!
MartinM wrote:e) don't bother - accept that you PGM2 wire is brown and your TACH OUT wire is red.

If I couldn't do a) to c), I'd do e)
:D had a fiddle with the pins,and tugged at the wires,sod it I thought :) I'll just have to solder green wire onto brown,and whatever colour PGM3 will be.
Just to justify me being a muppet,on the diagram the notch replicates the plug characteristics. The molex connected to the PCB has an alcove.
Anyway,the molex plug that the wires are connected to,is numbered 1)GND 8)12v

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Wow, I missed that one completely. First thing in the A.M., no coffee until after I replied! That will teach me.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Even though it states the orientation in the diagram, it's proven it's been a source of confusion more than a few times. I think it would help to clarify the graphic a bit more, perhaps showing the actual end view of the board.

I noticed, connecting power on the opposite pins of the plug seems to have no detrimental effect. However, I can't claim I designed it this way intentionally!! :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter