Problem with USB to serial adaptor

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

mcleodjm

Problem with USB to serial adaptor

Post by mcleodjm »

Hi,

I have an Inside Out (now owned by Digi) Edgeport 8 port serial adaptor. Between megajolt, megasquirt, and 2 JAW wideband controllers, I need quite a few serial ports and my laptop does not have any. Before I buy another adaptor, is there any hope in the edgeport working in the near future?

Here is some info about them;
http://www.bb-elec.com/product_multi_fa ... familyid=5

I took the cover off to see if it was based on the cheap chipset and I dont think it is. The major component is an Atmel microcontroller.

Thanks for the info,
Justin

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Justin,

What specific problems are you seeing with regards to communications- are you experiencing communication timeouts or freezing?

Have you verified connectivity with the MJLJ outside of that particular USB-Serial adapter, just to ensure your MJLJ is functional?

If you haven't already, please try the hyperterminal troubleshooting steps outlined here: http://www.autosportlabs.net/Troublesho ... lt_Lite_Jr. and report back your findings.

Normally we directly test a wide range of adapters for compatibility - we have quite the collection... Unfortunately, the unit you have is a bit outside of our testing budget. Currently, we're working on V3.3.0 of the configuration software. This version will primarily focus on feature enhancements, but opportunistic comm fixes will ceratinly be possible.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

mcleodjm

Post by mcleodjm »

Hi Brent, thanks for the reply.

I am getting the could not open port error from the MJ software when I use the edgeport.

I have tested the MJ and is works fine on my desktop PC serial port.

I ran the hyperterminal tests tonight with edgeport on my laptop and my desktop. I get resopnses from both the C and S commands on both computers, so the problem is in the MJ software?

I would not mind letting you borrow the edgeport for while if you are interesting in including a comm fix for it. :D

Thanks for the help,
Justin

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

"could not open port" comes straight from the operating system when the configuration software attempts to open the port it's configured to use, so that part is pretty robust (knock on wood...) It means the port doesn't exist or it's currently in use by some other program. I suppose your usb-serial adapter is configurable for different com ports, try setting the com port for one of the adapter ports to something you haven't used yet and see if that improves things.

Since you're in Oregon, I could make time to evaluate it if we can't get through the next few troubleshooting iterations. let's play that by ear.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

mcleodjm

Post by mcleodjm »

I did not know that error comes from the OS, that is a bit discouraging...

Today I tested the edgeport on both machines as follows;

Testing with port number one on the box, I disabled all other com ports on the machines and set the edgeport port to com1 and worked up to com8 from there. Each time the MJ software would give me the "could not open port" error and I could connect to it through hyperterminal. I also tried a few other ports on the edgeport, at different com numbers, with the same results. I then made a serial loopback adapter and tested all the serial ports and they all tested good.

Where should I go from here?

alexander

Post by alexander »

buy a Belkin brand USB/serial adapter. one worked for me after the usual problems with other no-name brands (as discussed previously on this forum). they dont cost much in the broad context of wasting tons of money on cars :) and you will find a compact in-line adapter a lot easier to manage when the laptop is sitting on the girlfriends lap in the car, while tuning it for maximum hp!

alexander.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Justin,

If you'd like to send your adapter my way I will be happy to evaluate the problem. I'll send you an email with the shipping info.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter