Assembling Sequential Shift Light

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

spetom

Assembling Sequential Shift Light

Post by spetom »

As the wiki page is a bit content-free at the moment, I just wanted to check that my assumptions about connecting up your shift light setup was correct (based on the instructions for the Dual LED cluster):

12V = 12V switched supply
A1 - A5 = MJLJ user outputs 1-4 and shift light output
R1 - R5 = bridge or add resistor to reduce brightness

I guess it doesn't matter which way round the LED anode and cathode are installed.

Is that all right?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hello Tom,

Build instructions have been updated.

In short: install the included 100 ohm resistor for R1,R2 (green clusters), and the included 270 ohm resistor for R3,R4,R5 (Yellow and Red clusters).

LEDs install in one direction, as LEDs normally do. Match the flat edge of the LED body with the flats on the board silkscreen.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

spetom

Post by spetom »

Blimey - I didn't even see those resistors in the LED packs when I first opened them up. Going to need a bit of practice before I attempt them.

Thanks for the update!

Tom

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Try using the same technique outlined in the Rev Limiter assembly / V4 MJLJ assembly- prepare one pad with a small blob of solder, then while holding the part with tweezers or needle-nose pliers, re-heat the blob and slide the resistor into place. Then solder the other pad. Repeat with the rest of the resistors!
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

spetom

Post by spetom »

The tactic works! It's now all soldered, wired, and tested with an external 12V supply.

Another step towards MegaJolt completion. Thanks again brent!

spetom

Post by spetom »

Ok! Finally got the rest of the MegaJolt setup finished and installed... and discovered that the LEDs now aren't working as well as they first seemed to.

The second cluster doesn't want to light up. I've checked the resistor, and it reads as around 101 (as it should) - but when supplied with 12V, it seems to supply more than the 9 or so that the rest end up with (could this be because the first LED is damaged, and so no power is getting through to the rest?)

EDIT: Have now tested the LEDs - only the LED immediately after the resistor is damaged, so I'm going to remove and replace it. Should I also replace the resistor?

EDIT (again): Having temporarily replaced the LED, all seems fine again. I suppose it's possible that the resistor shorted on something and fried the LED.

What type of LEDs are originally supplied?

Thanks for any pointers you can give :)

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

If you can clarify: Did you indeed replace the bad LED with a different one? did you find one that was close in color and intensity? The original LEDs are water clear, green, 2000mcd.
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

spetom

Post by spetom »

I only put a blue LED I had lying around into the 'two holes' to test it: currently having a bit of trouble finding 2000mcd clear green - everything seems to be 'ultra bright' - around 6000mcd!

spetom

Post by spetom »

Hmmm... it's happened again, which seems a bit of coincidence.
Any ideas how I can test what's going wrong here?

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear that- was it the same cluster that you had a problem with before? Can you identify which LED might've failed?

If you have voltage spikes in your electrical system that might be stressing them out, but that's just a guess at this point. Do you have a 12v voltage regulator lying around, like a 7812, that you can use to provide the +12v to the cluster?

Brent
Brent Picasso
Facebook | Twitter

spetom

Post by spetom »

Yes, it's the same cluster again. I'll look into picking up one of those regulators and post again when I've run a few tests.
Thanks

Tom