Corvair Corsa 180 HP Turbo

Browse and share Ignition Configurations in this forum

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

miniman82

Corvair Corsa 180 HP Turbo

Post by miniman82 »

Here's the MAP I've been working on for a couple weeks.

My engine is not stock: .040" over pistons/cylinders, Isky turbo grind, ported heads, free flowing muffler. Using the wideband, I see that I have AFR's in the 12:1 range under boost, so fuelling is accurate with the YH carb.

This map is for hot weather, to reduce the chances of detonation. Cold weather will allow more agressive advance curves, so I'll post up another one when I've got some decent cold temps to play around in.

Have fun with it, but remember-this is just to play with. If you don't know what you're doing, don't play around. I cannot be held responsible for your engine damage! That said, this should get you pretty close to optimal.
Attachments
Corvair.mjlj
Summer Map
(724 Bytes) Downloaded 1071 times
Last edited by miniman82 on Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo-the only way to fly!

miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Update time!

I've moved to Chicago since the original install, so I've had some time to play around with cold temps. Turns out things aren't so different from the hot weather map, but I was able to add some timing in under the boost/high load areas. The biggest change I had to make was around idle, because it wanted to stall sometimes. Bumped up the idle timing, tweaked the mixture and idle screws, and that's now sorted.

One thing I've noticed is that when temps drop below 30*F, it's pretty hard to get the heads over 300*F. I beat on it till my foot gets tired, and it never goes past 300. While that's a benefit to avoiding detonation, it's a pain because it means the engine never reaches full operating temperature. I'd prefer the heads to hover around 350*F whenever possible, so maybe the next change will be a larger diameter pulley for the cooling fan to slow it down. Never though not enough heat would be an issue with an air cooled engine....

I posted the map I'm currently running with. I'll hopefully be able to put more time into it in the near future, but for right now I'm happy with the way the thing runs. According to a quick datalog, I'm getting an honest 10 lbs boost on a hard run through 4th gear so that's good. It's scary fast in 3rd and 4th, so needless to say I can't wait to swap a Weber/SU on this thing, or possibly go with EFI. :twisted:
Attachments
chitownwinter.mjlj
Winter Map
(724 Bytes) Downloaded 755 times

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Just a thought, but could you not cover half the radiator up. Something classic cars used to do in rallies back in the old days. That way the rad wont be as efficient and you should get a warmer engine.
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

If it is a Chevy Corvair flat 6, there is no stinking radiator! Corvairs were aircooled, unless a Corvair is some variant of a Mini?

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Oops, no type of mini i'm afraid :(
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Alexander_Monday

Post by Alexander_Monday »

Miniman: Since you came from CA, I just had to say welcome to winter. :shock:
There are 10 types of people.
Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

I've lived in the snow all my life bro, call it a return home if you like. :lol:
I'm from WI, where I'm at now in IL I'm only 1.5 hours from my folks house.

Nitro- a Corvair has no radiator, it's air cooled. If you want Mini stuff, wait till I'm done building my 1293 A+ lump.... I have a 1972 Innocenti Saloon among the other project cars I have floating around. Just got the block machined, and Mini Spares is posting the gearbox parts as we speak! :twisted:

Ryanesque

Post by Ryanesque »

Now lets see if my map works!

I don't have it on this computer or I'd post it here.

basically I used Brents basic NA map, and then changed the RPM bins to the same as yours, then changed the kp loads to the same as yours. I added more advance than you (10? I thought turbos were supposed to be like 24!?) across a lot of the scale.. we'll see. i start with around 14º and end with about 36º so we'll see.

now i just need some wire and some brackets...

Ry

miniman82

Post by miniman82 »

Ryanesque wrote:I thought turbos were supposed to be like 24* across a lot of the scale...

That's the stock curve with a stock distributor. It makes the engine a bastard on hot restarts, and it's not the best scenario for highway driving, either. 24* isn't enough timing on the freeway (unless you drive at 4000 RPM all the time- you don't get more than that below 4K), and 24* is too much base timing for easy cranking. That's why I lowered cranking timing to 10*, advancing to 20 when it catches and runs. I also added 6* of 'vacuum advance' for freeway situations, but the best thing about MJ is the most accurate boost retard a Vair has ever seen! You can forget about the stock pressure retard can on the distributor, it provides inconsistant timing vs boost pressure at best, and no retard if it has a hole in it at worst. Suffice it to say, I'm thoroughly disgusted with the stock distributor. At least I'll never have to deal with one ever again...