Wish me luck!

Megajolt Kit assembly Question and Answers. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_kit_assembly_guide">Kit assembly guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Midas

Wish me luck!

Post by Midas »

Despite the best efforts of Parcel Farce I received my MJ today.

Tomorrow the soldering iron comes out and I start praying the force is with me! This one will be going on the 1330cc A+ engine in my Midas Gold, if all goes well my better halves Porsche 924 is begging for a decent ignition system......

Rich
:wink:

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

All the best Rich, should you need to help don't hesitate to ask :D
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

Midas

Post by Midas »

NITROPIXIE wrote:All the best Rich, should you need to help don't hesitate to ask :D

Thanks, stand by for lots of inane questions..

Midas

Post by Midas »

Well, it all went together reasonably easily. It took a while to get back into fine soldering again so I'll need to buy a coil of braid to tidy up some of the first joints.

The worst bit was probably the hard rev limiter, those fine tags on the chip are attached to a whole lot of copper. It's just as well that bridging most of the pins isn't a problem. Would there be any way of reducing the amount of copper by etching a break in the sheet Brent?

Rich
:wink:

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi Rich,

Glad it went smoothly!

All that copper is a heat sink for the mosfet and the resistors, and secondarily to improve current handling capability: so the design is completely intentional.
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Midas

Post by Midas »

brentp wrote:Hi Rich,

Glad it went smoothly!

All that copper is a heat sink for the mosfet and the resistors, and secondarily to improve current handling capability: so the design is completely intentional.
I guessed it might have been.

Just waiting for my serial port to arrive so I can test it, it lights up when it should and appears to have the 5v in the places it's supposed to have it. Time to start praying....