Megajolt for 911 porsche??

Browse and share Ignition Configurations in this forum

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Fitzie

Megajolt for 911 porsche??

Post by Fitzie »

Does anyone have any info regarding the fitting of EDIS6 to a 911? Has it been done? and are there any problems I could run into? Its a 3ltr 76 model and was on injection,Ive put carbs on (PMO) and the idea struck to bin the outdated Bosch ECU (very basic) and go for the MJLJ.
If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.
Cheers.

sierra2dr

Post by sierra2dr »

hmmm...Bosch ecu that was designed for FI,and now operating on a carb. I'm picturing an ECU,generally like a late version ECU.
I suspect that the 911 had the K-jet MFI system,if so I assume it will have an ignition module like most car maufacturers who used K-jet. Basically,you should be able to install MJLJ using a TPS. The OEM igntion module operates the fuel cut-off,there's an article on the forum about how to resolve this.
Here's a list of vehicles you can get EDIS from http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_ve ... tion_guide

Fitzie

911 on megajolt

Post by Fitzie »

Yeah, thanks for your response mate. I have already used the mjlj on a zetec engined westfield and its magic,I think I posted my question under the wrong heading as what I should have asked was if I do the installation on the porker are there any base maps available and would there be any gremlins that others have come across and sorted?
:roll: I know that the bosch system was a good system,but age has taken its toll on the electrics and my mate wants to adapt the car for track use only,so most of the loom will be coming out in favour of simple wiring and a master (cut off) switch.along with a roll cage.
But thanks for the interest...

sierra2dr

Re: 911 on megajolt

Post by sierra2dr »

Fitzie wrote:what I should have asked was if I do the installation on the porker are there any base maps available
aha...ok. You must be the first on this forum. You are best getting curves from the OEM distributor beforehand.

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

Fitz, I am doing a dual plug 2.7 RS clone. I know of several Electromotive installs, so I know wasted spark will work. I do not know of any 911 installs, but am positive it can work and work well. Just copy the Bosch curve and mod it from there. I know PMOs are good, but I have large bore rebuilt throttle bodies and an MFI pump rebuilt with an S space cam. Also NOS Mahle nickies, JE 10.5:1 pistons, and Webcam S camshafts. Should run OK, I hope!

BTW, I have a 2165 cc type 1 VW on Webers and Megajolt, about 180 hp. It has about 12000 miles on it in a 550 Spyder replica.

Fitzie

Post by Fitzie »

DannyP thanks for the info. Ive been intouch with a friend who does diagnostics for a living and hes written a curve from a 3ltre twin plug running an american dizzy from a company,and hes sending it on to me. The hardware and MJLJ have been ordered and should be here in a couple of days. We are hoping that the trigger wheel from the original (on the flywheel) will do the job,but if it doesnt then I will put one on the crank pulley and go from there.We wont be running Nos or anything wild for a while until we get the mapping sorted and then next on the to do list will be cams and exhaust. We know that the limits of this engine (3ltr) will be around 280bhp and thats a good starting point we think.
Thanks again.
Fitzie

jbrown

Post by jbrown »

any movement on this? Looking for a map for my 911 3.0L. Just single plug any help! I'm using the stock curve right now but know there is more there, Thanks, James

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

So experiment, then. That's how I arrived at my map for my Spyder, currently on version 20. I started with the centrifugal only map from the distributor in my engine.

jbrown

Post by jbrown »

sounds like the way to go