using existing AFM as well as both TDC and engine speed sens

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

tailharder

using existing AFM as well as both TDC and engine speed sens

Post by tailharder »

My BMW 4 cylinder engine uses an early BOSCH Motronic engine management system (Generation 1.1 to be precise) that controls (batched) fuel injection and the ignition (timing). It uses a distributor which I would like to get rid off and has an air flow meter (AFM) for engine load, a separate TDC sensor that sees 1 pin on the flywheel coming past every revolution and an engine speed sensor that sees the teeth of the starter ring gear. TDC and speed sensors are identical. As they are magnetic I would say that they are VR sensors.

I would like to know if I have a chance of using the signal that comes from these two sensors to generate a engine speed signal as if I were using a 36-1 trigger wheel by means of using the VR Sensor Simulator of Bowling and Grippo (http://www.bgsoflex.com/mjl/mjl_edis_stim.html). I'm thinking along the lines of 'throw the 10k potentiometer out, feed the rpm & TDC signal in and get a 36-1 trigger wheel signal out'.
How could that be done?

That way I don't have to fit any extra sensors let alone fabricate and mount a trigger wheel.

I would also like to use the original AFM instead of the MAP sensor as I have the exact timing advance in a table with AFM-signal and rpm along the two axes.
As the AFM also has an output between (theoretically) 0 and 5V (full load on the engine) I think that would work directly.

Any thoughts on that?

I would record/log the MAP and AFM readings simultaneously in order to get rid of the restricting AFM at a later stage when I switch to (Ultra)Megasquirt(II). Of course I could use a TPS but I must say that I prefer to measure MAP to represent engine load than Throttle Position, although I could find that with the 4 individual throttle bodies I am forced to use TPS because I cant get a usable MAP reading.

Any thoughts and comments greatly appreciated