302 Ford in a 70 Maverick

Post by bmcdaniel »

Engine Mfg: Ford
Cylinders: 8
Displacement (cc): 5.0
Rev Limit: 6200
TPS or MAP: MAP
Boosted or Normally Aspirated: NA
Modifications: Performer RPM heads, RPM intake, FiTech EFI, Comp Cams XE266HR roller cam, headers
Chassis: 70 Maverick
Notes: 2850 lbs, T5 5-speed, 3.89: rear gears
Attachments
ford302mjcurve3.mjlj
(801 Bytes) Downloaded 773 times
Last edited by bmcdaniel on Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

How does your engine run?
Have you done the map on a dyno?

I'll interested to hear about you. You've got ton on timing advance at low load. My engine is nowhere near yours but I'm trying to see how far I could go as well with mine.
The curve are not so smooth, I mean you've got major steps in your map, most likely for a reason. I'd like to know how it performs.
Mathieu

bmcdaniel

Post by bmcdaniel »

The car is running great. This is what the car seemed to like. A light car with a torquey V8, manual transmission with overdrive, and fairly stiff rear gears. I prefer to tune the car by road testing, a dyno doesn’t take into account the vehicle weight (inertia) or aerodynamics. At highway speeds (low load in overdrive) the engine is only turning 1800 – 2000 rpm depending on the speed limit. The timing at 100 KPa is pretty much equal to a normal performance distributor curve found in an American V8 that would have only initial and mechanical advance with no vacuum advance (wide open throttle).

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

How did you end up with +50° for low load? Trial & error?
I'm in the same boat (car I should say!), I keep increasing timing at low load and see if it helps.
Dyno (braking unit, not inertia) seems to be the right tool since we could measure torque output versus timing at any engine state to fine tune it.
Like you, I like tuning my car on the streets, it is funnier & cheaper. I've done a DIY ignition, it is also to make my DIY map :)
Mathieu

bmcdaniel

Post by bmcdaniel »

On my old distributor the vacuum advance can added about 20* max. Seemed to work pretty well. Realistically, at low load the engine will probably never see more than about 2500 rpm. In overdrive I would be easily exceeding any of the local speed limits. There's a whole bunch of cells in the top- to mid- right side of the map that will never come into play.

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

Got it!
At cruising speed, I'm more around 2500-3000 rpm but situation is the same. I'm at 40° max with 34° total advance at high load / high rpm, I need to check how far I can go and your example make me believe I could do it.
Mathieu

bmcdaniel

Post by bmcdaniel »

Found on the dyno that I was getting some detonation at sustained wide open throttle. Took some timing out and delayed the start of the advance over what I had.
Attachments
ford302mjcurve4.mjlj
(801 Bytes) Downloaded 514 times