Straight 6 vs even or oddfire V6.

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

pavel5

Straight 6 vs even or oddfire V6.

Post by pavel5 »

This is my first post (please bear with me) and I have very little knowledge of how the MegaJolt system is compatible with various engines. I have a source for a Ford ECU/coilpack/sensor from a 1992 Ford Explorer. This is a V6 engine (even fire, I believe) which means there is a piston at TDC in the ignition stroke every 120 degrees. So this should be the same as any straight 6 engine (in my case an old Willys Tornado OHC engine)? I hope to get through AirCare with the help of the FordECU/MegaJolt upgrade.

What about the stranger situation where you might want to use the Ford + MegaJolt ignition on an odd-fire GM V6. These engines, found in some older Jeeps, were actually cut down V8s and had uneven gaps between the firing of the cylinders - hence the name "odd-fire". I guess the Ford ECU + MegaJolt would not work with such an engine?

Thanks for any help learning these fundamentals

Pavel up north

dave9469

Post by dave9469 »

if you want to use this odd fire cut down V8 then you should consider using a V8 setup with 2 coil packs and not using 2 of the outputs.

NITROPIXIE

Post by NITROPIXIE »

Yep that would work a treat, there is almost a way get around most things
1310 A-series Mini, lightened and built myself. V4 board and loving it

Rasputin22 - The Mini Forum
Rasputin22 - MK1 Golf Forum

Megajolt repair for the UK available

pavel5

Post by pavel5 »

Yes, thanks Dave - using the V8 based system makes perfect sense. I didn't think of that!

Now in my case. the the 92 Explorer V6 based Ford ECU plus MegaJolt will work with my ancient straight six I trust?

Thanks

Pavel up north

dave9469

Post by dave9469 »

That's what I've got on my ancient TR6 (EDIS6 & coil pack) and it works a treat.

pavel5

Post by pavel5 »

OK then Dave, I'll go ahead with the Willys project. If it works well, I'll do the same with our Healey 3000.

Thank you again gentlemen!

Pavel up north