Connecting up first time.

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

MGB1860

Connecting up first time.

Post by MGB1860 »

This is a first post so forgive me if I have missed something. I have constructed the unit loaded the java software as described but I get no response from the unit when running the MJLJ software. What I want to know is, 'Do I need to upload the bootloader program to the processer before it will talk to the PC or is this incorporated into the MJLJ software'. I downloaded the HC08sprg bootloader and the S19 file but got no response when running it in a dos window in XP. I see the S19 downloads as a HTM file. I have assumed you rename it with the s19 extension. The CPU and RS232 Ic's have 5V and a clean 16MHz clock so I am stuck! Also tried a Hyperterminal test but no response.
Any advice would be seriously appreciated.
cheers
Matt
Cheshire UK

KITT

Start with the obvious

Post by KITT »

Firstly are you sure the COM port works ok on your computer and you've set the software to use it? Sometimes (especially on laptops) they get disabled to save battery power. Secondly is the cable you're using good (I used an old modem cable which works fine)? Also, is there anything else on your computer that is using the COM port that might me interfering with it?

FWIW mine worked straight off without having to upload anything. Just plugged it in, turned it on and the Megajolt Java program downloaded the map that was in there.

regards

Matt

MGB1860

Blank CPU

Post by MGB1860 »

Thanks Kitt

Sorted now. Realised after reading all the specs that the 68hc908kx8 I bought from RS in the uk is a blank device. It needs the bootloader program installed to run with the software on here. I have designed my own board and daughter board programmer for about £20 / $40. As a change to the design instead of trying to find a molex connector my case has a 9 pin locking din socket/plug. Obviously you dont get all the function lines but I just want the ignition part and a few extra outputs. socket connects to PCB with short wires.
My PCB fits an extruded aluminium case from Maplin. Anyone want details just shout.
thanks again
Matt

pinto

PCB

Post by pinto »

Don't know how Matt fitted his board to a Hammond enclosure, but I etched my own board from the file on the downloads section.
Its made slightly wider to fit the rails in a Hammond aluminium box, and then just cut about 1/2" from length of enclosure.
You could also do what Matt did and just use a computer D-sub to wire to the board instead of the hard to get Molex connector.
I also have a spare first attempt board, if anyone wants it (UK only) for the price of a couple of stamps to post.
email me @ [email protected]

Matt, can give me details of your Programmer

KITT

How I fitted the PCB

Post by KITT »

Hi Pinto,

I fitted my PCB into the Hammond elcosure like this:

http://www.cate1.co.uk/megajolt/enclosure.php

close up photo:

http://www.cate1.co.uk/megajolt/pics/board9.jpg

regards

Matt

Paul f

I have looked in the files se

Post by Paul f »

I have looked in the files section and cannot find any pcb details, are they still available?