MAP Pressure in Different engines

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

4600cc

MAP Pressure in Different engines

Post by 4600cc »

I'd like to find out what are some common manifold pressures are of different engines, at idle, and at full throttle. I'm interested in N/A, blown, engine displacement, and number of cylinders. ??

Also, does the load on N/A engine increase or decrease as pressure goes down? Should the timing be advanced or retarded as engine load increases?

brentp
Site Admin

The same concepts hold true w

Post by brentp »

The same concepts hold true whether the engine is NA or boosted. Anytime the manifold pressure goes away from vacuum, the engine load increases.

With NA motors the "maximum" pressure is 100KPA, which is atmospheric pressure- I.E. the throttle is completely open. With boosted engines, the effective atmospheric pressure is increased, so you just see pressure beyond 100Kpa.

My turbo with 8.0:1 C/R idles with 23 Kpa, Full throttle is 220 KPA (about 17-18 lbs of boost)

Generally speaking timing should be retarded as pressure goes up, and be advanced as RPMs go up. Take a look at my ignition curve under the files section to get an idea.

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

4600cc

My N/A goes past 100 KPA

Post by 4600cc »

My 4.6L idles at 28KPA, and 32KPA with A/C on. If reved high and hard pressure will go past 100KPA, I noted it goes as high as 117KPA. It won't go past 100KPA if reved high but steady (squizing the throttle instead of flooring it). What's up with that?

Under what conditions will pressure go lower than the idle pressure? Say to 10 or 5 or 0 KPA? At such low pressures, what is the best thing to do, advance or retard? If I was tunning fuel injection I'm guessing I'd inrich to cool down the engine.

Does it make any sense on N/A engine to make your map past 100 KPA?

AL

4600cc

In screen shots section you h

Post by 4600cc »

In screen shots section you have timing being advanced as pressure goes up.

http://picasso.org/mjlj/images/ignition ... ig_tab.png

Yet you said timing should be retarded as pressure goes up. Did I misunderstood something or ignition map in screenshots section is wrong? Please help me out.

AL

brentp
Site Admin

That is a screen shot I used

Post by brentp »

That is a screen shot I used for my test bench, not something for use on a car. I see that it can be misleading.

Review the ignition configuration I'm using on my turbo 4AG- download it from the files section and load it into the configurator.

Thanks,
Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter