Corrosion on board

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Daryl

Corrosion on board

Post by Daryl »

On Nov. 7/04 I reported that I had the car running on MJLJ as shipped. The advance was a little high, but it was running.
I now have my new computer, remapped the controller and everything seems to be working great.
Had a problem though. After three months sitting in the garage some corrosion had built up on the board and the controller would not work. As soon as I started cranking it went to the max RPM bin at the starting KPA (94) which put it at 35 deg btdc. But it wouldn't fire at all anyway. Took the board out and cleaned it up and everything works.
Now to coat it with conformal coating. Do you coat everything? Chips included or pull them first? Gotta keep the corrosion away & the car running.
Oh yes, about that timing map on the chip when I initially, impatiently, ran the car (sitting in driveway). I now have a small oil leak back of cyl 4. I just may have blown a head gasket. Too much advance for my beater.
BUT the car is running good!! I'll torque the head bolts & keep an eye on things while I'm tuning.........
Thanks Brent.
Daryl

msinisal

Corrosion...

Post by msinisal »

Fast-drying protection enamel such as PRF 202 Plastic should be helpful in the fight against corrosion...

- Mika

brentp
Site Admin

All of the traces are tinned,

Post by brentp »

All of the traces are tinned, so I'm suprised there would be corrosion. Are you in a high corrosion environment- lots of moisture, or salt air exposure? The MJLJ should be mounted in the passenger compartment- it's not protected from the elements.

Brent
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

Daryl

Corrosion

Post by Daryl »

Brent,
The corrosion was around the solder joints. I guess I didn't wash the board down when I finished soldering.
It is in the passenger compartment.
The car had not been driven. Was just sitting in an unheated but totally enclosed garage in the Vancouver, BC area. (the Wet Coast)
Just a little north of you....
Went for a long drive (about 200 kilometers) and the MJLJ unit worked great! Idle and high rpm both are better.
I still don't show a cranking rpm, and when cranking over it shows the map at 90kpa and timing at 35 deg ? I'm surprised it starts.

Daryl