Netbook shutdown

General Topics for configuring, operating and tuning the Megajolt. Also see the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_Operation_Guide">Operation Guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

617sqn

Netbook shutdown

Post by 617sqn »

Guys. I've recently bought a new EeePC netbook to use more or less specifically for configuring/playing with my Megajolt/E.

Yesterday, on first time use with both netbook and MJ/E,everything went fine : my own map went in no problem, car started etc but after maybe 6 or 7 minutes the netbook shutdown (after making a tinkling tune). It wouldn't re-start unless I kept the on/off button pushed down for a number of seconds prompting a re-boot. This resulted in a screen full of text (which didn't give me enough time to read properly), and a successfull start up. Anyone got any ideas what's happening ? It's now done the same thing 2 or 3 times. I'm using an RJ11 cable and converter to Serial bought with the MJ/E from Autosport Labs, linked to a Serial to USB converter into the netbook. Is this maybe down to using one particular USB port in the computer, which would normally take the mouse I use ? The battery was fully charged so not a power related issue. I'm stumped ..........

Andy Gill.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Odd issue. Does the 'text' upon bootup persist? see if you can read what it says.

Does it happen consistently, or sporadically? As for the USB ports, you might want to try running without the mouse plugged in, or in a usb port on the opposite side of the computer (if that exists)

Finally, do you have another PC to test with?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Hi Brent, Thanks for your interest. The pc starts up normally at any other time, like now for instance ;-)

I'll give it another go tomorrow and see what the text says if I can. How do you freeze the page so that it's easily read ? The mouse wasn't actually plugged in at the time that i was playing with the MJ/E. I'll also start off by using the USB on the other side to see if that makes a difference.

Watch this space !

Cheers, Andy.

617sqn

Post by 617sqn »

Hi Brent.

I fired up the MJ/E today : I tried the previous format as above, and it froze again. So, I rebooted the Netbook, put the link cable into the other USB port and changed the Coms Port (this time 4 as opposed to 3 beforehand) and all seems well :D I had the car running around locally for at least 30 minutes without computer failure. So, I guess there is some sort of conflict with either coms port 3 or that sides USB port.

All's well that end's well 8) And now I can get on with tuning and linking up the other goodies.

Andy G.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Excellent! Thanks you for being persistent :)
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter