no signal from C/A sensor on new install

EDIS and Megajolt installation related topics. Be sure to review the <a href="http://www.autosportlabs.net/MJLJ_V4_vehicle_installation_guide">Vehicle installation guide</a>

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Oldgringo

no signal from C/A sensor on new install

Post by Oldgringo »

Greetings: New install, new sensor from a 1994 Ranger 4.0L V-6. wiring continuity is OK. sensor gap is .003".
No signal when cranking engine from sensor. It is a 3.5" wheel diameter and the teeth have been flattened slightly. The sensor has a 1/4" diameter core, the wheel is 1/8" thick and the teeth have been flattened some and provide a 1/8" X 1/8" flat surface for the sensor to detect.

1. Is the mass-tooth surface too small for the sensor to operate properly? (1/4" dia sensor- 1/8" X 1/8" tooth)

2. Is there insufficient gap between the teeth to allow the sensor to work normally? 1/4" dia sensor - approx 1/4" gap between teeth)

I am about to scrap this set-up and machine the harmonic dampner, but this is so compact and nice to just give up....

I see the picture of a really fine tooth gear being used in your sample section. It gives me some hope that mine can be made to work with a little tweaking.

Like adding another like wheel to get a double thickness - 1/4" X 1/8" surface. maybe it will work?

Advise, TYVM, MIS
Attachments
triggerwheel.jpg
triggerwheel.jpg (128.6 KiB) Viewed 4013 times

cng1

Post by cng1 »

More metal will certainly help things but I suspect you are fighting a losing battle there. The only chance is if you close the gap between teeth and sensor down to around 0.25mm for that wheel (less is better).
Official Megajolt distributor for UK and Europe.
Complete Megajolt packages, EDIS kits, Trigger wheels and everything else you need for your megajolt install
www.trigger-wheels.com

Oldgringo

sucks....

Post by Oldgringo »

I have turned down the harmonic dampner hub a little to smooth it. Laying out the holes will be easy, I guess the only real work will be the need for a really steady triangulated bracket as the sensor will be 5" away from the engine block instead of the pictured one which was right against it.

Thanks for the reply. I think I knew the answer, I just needed a kick to get started. O.G.