Pinzgauer - thrilled to bits!

Show off your Megajolt installations, vehicles and action shots here!

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

spandit

Pinzgauer - thrilled to bits!

Post by spandit »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAkeqBt62fk

I thought I'd be troubleshooting this all morning but it fired first time. It does sound rough but then I've been cranking the engine without any ignition to check various things so there was a lot of unburnt fuel about. It was also running without any choke which for this engine is quite impressive.

Since the Pinzgauer is 24V, I was running this off a leisure battery - will try it off the voltage dropper in due course but at the moment completely elated that it runs at all!

spandit

Post by spandit »

Update: just tried it on the voltage dropper and works fine! Can't wait for my new laptop to arrive so I can get the MJLJ wired in!

spandit

Post by spandit »

Hoping to get the wiring tidied up a bit soon :D

At least it all works (although starter motor fell off so can't do any more testing at the moment!!)

spandit

Post by spandit »

For those of you who don't know what the vehicle looks like:

DannyP

Post by DannyP »

I saw one of these today on the street in Beacon, NY. The guy was shocked as I pulled up alongside and said, "Hey, is that a Pinzgauer?"

He said it was a 1972 engine, type4, 90hp. It sounded like it was running a bit rough and needed a tune. I hope to see him at a couple of car shows this summer.

BTW, they look super cool in person, would love to ride in or drive one, especially offroad!

spandit

Post by spandit »

They are awesome off road. Massive ground clearance due to portal axles, lockable diffs (on the fly) & huge departure axles.

They are dreadful on the road, though - slow, cumbersome and with drum brakes that don't work in the wet!

Engines are air-cooled so they never sound whisper quiet but mine is sounding better with the MJLJ (although I discovered why mine had been misfiring during the installation). Definitely starts better - haven't had to use choke at all.

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Wow! That is quite the vehicle! We had never heard of it. Thank you for sharing!
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

spandit

Post by spandit »

Thanks, Brent. It's 24V which has caused a few problems. I'm currently running the ignition system off a 12V leisure battery as the voltage dropper doesn't work whilst cranking as the starter takes too much power. I'm going to install a small auxiliary battery (the kind you use for fire alarms etc.) as it only needs to provide about 15A for a few seconds and will charge off the dropper once the engine is going.

Did have a problem initially that the engine wouldn't stop once the ignition power was removed but have wired everything through a relay so that's solved.