Newbie question

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Alex B

Post by Alex B »

hendrik6073 wrote:When cyl 1 is on TDC the valves are ready to open ? right ?
Hoi Hendrik,

Wrong. TDC is always defined as being ready for combustion, so with valves closed. What type of engine does a Murena have?

Alex

hendrik6073

Post by hendrik6073 »

Hi Alex,

i am glad i did ask ! thanks !
it's a 1.6 4 cyl motor.

hendrik6073

Post by hendrik6073 »

today i took a look again. i noticed that the TDC with closed valves is exact the same location as the TDC with valves ready to open. Never looked at this this way before. Now i ask myself how does the ignition know if the missing tooth indicates the valves closed or the valves opened cycle ? Or does it fire in both situations ?

edit: okay this is the wasted spark, now i get it.

hendrik6073

Post by hendrik6073 »

hendrik6073

Post by hendrik6073 »

today i could start the car the first time driven by megajolt. See topic with pictures and movie http://www.autosportlabs.org/viewtopic. ... 9923#19923

Car started with Megajolt out of the box nothing configured. Idle it's runs fine and driving was also smooth the first few minutes, than the car started to drive bad, feels like not all sparks are there, like driving on 3 cylinders than it stopped. After a few minutes it would start again and than again it stopped. A friend towed my car away and now it's at my house i can start it again without trouble. Could there be an explanation for this behavior ? Of the EDIS parts are from a junk yard so i do not know in what condition they are.

thanks.

Richard

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

We cannot answer with the data you've provided.
How do the spark plugs look like? How is your ignition map?
If the VR sensor installed properly, can it move?
Are the carbs tuned properly?
Do you have fuel going to the engine? Lines could be partially clogged, it fills the carbs enough to start and ru for some time but fuel supply might not be able to keep up with the engine needs.

Try to repeat the issue and see if you could get any evidence to lead you to root cause.
Mathieu

hendrik6073

Post by hendrik6073 »

thanks for the response i did not have the time to search further.what i can say at this moment is that the car was running fine before. My conclusion is that the carbs are allright, that i have enough fuel going trough the system. I can put the VR sensor a bit closer to the wheel. It was running out-of-the-box with factory settings, i have to read more about how to edit the ignition map so i can evaluate that. Are there best practices about editing the ignition map ? I do not have a car test bench or something like that. thanks ! Richard

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

Condition of the carbs could be checked with spark plugs shape, you should look at them.

Regarding how to make a map, check out my topic, you can see how I've done it from scratch.
Mathieu

hendrik6073

Post by hendrik6073 »

Perfect, i only have time to look at the car in a few weeks, first i gonna read your topic. Thanks. I keep you informed !

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

Good ;)
Mathieu

hendrik6073

Post by hendrik6073 »

back from vacation, my new coil was waiting for me, try to replace it this week.
i did read you're topic, are you trying the new settings while driving the car ?

Lazeum

Post by Lazeum »

I did not try changing map while I was driving. I usually stop somewhere safe, make the changes, load the map and go for a ride. I don't always stop the engine.
to setup timing at idle, I did it with engine running, 2° step at a time until it reached max rpm.

I'm usually by myself but if I would have a co-driver, I could certainly make change on the fly, it will make changes even more obvious, especially at part throttle; driver would notice torque variations more easily.
Mathieu

hendrik6073

Post by hendrik6073 »

hi, my project is not going as quick as i want. When i have some time of i'll take a tittle peek and fool around with the settings. One of this days i try to take her on the road.

When i was busy trying setting i noticed that when i keep the throttle steady sometimes the load goes to zero and stay's there till i move the throttle again. I do not notice this behavior how the car runs. Could this be a faulty TPS ?

thanks again

brentp
Site Admin

Post by brentp »

Hi, are you running TPS or MAP sensor with the Megajolt?
Brent Picasso
CEO and Founder, Autosport Labs
Facebook | Twitter

hendrik6073

Post by hendrik6073 »

TPS