Popping and banging.

General Megajolt Questions and Answers

Moderators: JeffC, rdoherty, stieg, brentp

Martyn123

Popping and banging.

Post by Martyn123 »

Hi, Rover V8 with Edelbrock carb and Megajolt system.

engine built up for me by and heard running on their testbed and all running sweet. Have now installed it in my car and it's popping and banging and does not really want to rev cleanly, something is amiss somewhere.

The engine builder is miles away so not really an option to take it there and not aware of any tuners in the West Midlands area who have any knowledge of the Megajolt system unless you can recommend somebody for me.

When I was installing the engine in the car I moved the trigger wheel slightly and are confident it is back in its right place, I.e. engine at TDC and count 5 teeth past the sensor. The ignition Timing light on the crank pulley shows 8 degrees before with the Megajolt unplugged when idling and when I plug the Megajolt system in on idling the laptop shows ignition advance 15, it idles at 900rpm.

The global controller options shows the following,

Cranking advance 12 degrees
Trigger offset 5 degrees
Edis pip filter level. 10

Can somebody tech minded point me in the right direction please, I think I can post a copy of my map on here if this will help,

Regards,

Martyn

spandit

Post by spandit »

Are the ignition leads on the right plugs?

Martyn123

Post by Martyn123 »

Went back to basics and seems I had 7 & 8 on the wrong way round and 8 was not sparking at all !

Have swopped them over and replaced faulty spark plug, found this out by buying a timing light and putting the sensor on each lead, now pulls like a train, wow....

Martyn